wrist strength and distance?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: wrist strength and distance?

Postby turso » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:55 am

JR wrote: The great wall of text

Interesting stuff, so they basically support each other. But yeah, it makes sense, maybe I should've been bit more accurate and said that relying on the tendon bounce alone it won't work very well. And when I say I start opening my wrist at right pec, I mean that's when I send the signal from my brain for the wrist to start opening, in reality it opens later since the wrist isn't lightning fast, at least mine isn't :(

The timing isn't even near perfect yet, I need to concentrate on training it a lot more, but it definetely is helping, if not hugely, but noticeably.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby JR » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 am

Thanks JHern for the text. In bells and loudspeakers one talks of the width of the resonance in time and the correlated amplitude or forcefulness of the resonance with the term Q. The higher the Q the shorter time the resonance occurs and the harder it rings the bell or the loudspeaker transducer. Or in reality the walls of the loudspeaker on top of the transducer resonance.

Turso i agree that the tendon bounce alone ain't enough and although i haven't yet tried to open the wrist at the right pec, because it seems like way too early according to the laws of physic, i would think your later explanation seems much more plausible. I'm not even hoping for good timing or body control because i think i lack the muscles and especially thumb grip strength to really see what's what and how to get big snap.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby gretagun » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:54 am

Thanks for quoting that MrScoopa. I had read that a while ago and forgot all about it. All of stuff written by you and Jhern have helped me realize that I will need to work on the wrist extension. I feel like I get a much better snap on my mids and putters, but I don't know if it's b/c of the Climo grip or the thin rims. I have taken pretty much everything faster than a Valk out of the bag, and even thinner rimmed drivers have been tough for me to transition to. I will say that I have been working on the towel drill a little more since daylight is becoming limited, and I only seem to get a good crack when there is a little active wrist action. It's just hard to get to, and usually takes me a good 20-30 "swings" before I get it.
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby JHern » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:11 pm

Yeah, this discussion is also helping me out, I'm throwing farther and more accurately as a result of understanding this concept of resonance. I went and played Pinto Lake DGC (where the finals for Worlds 2011 will be held) after the previous post, and apart from having a simply fun as hell round, I was constantly scoring birdies on the long holes (this is a really unique course, designed with modern disc technology in mind, unlike every other that I've played). My domey Pro Destroyer was responding quite well.

I remember seeing people wag the disc back-and-forth before going into their pull (especially with forehand). They are trying to get a feeling for the resonance and proper timing of the throw, and they are often nailing it.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby MrScoopa » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:01 am

I like the idea of resonance with the swing set! Bradley described it with a fishing pole. Blake isolated the feeling with the hammer pound technique. Neat stuff. It's all about feeling the weight and opening the wrist at the right time as to add to the momentum of the disc! Just like on the swing set when you'd kick at that right moment to go higher!

Very nice JHern.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby JHern » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:32 pm

Good summary MrScoopa. One of these days we'll draw Blake back out of his long hiatus...discussions like this might help.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Previous

Return to Technique