Drop off in distance

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Drop off in distance

Postby lloydclarkesports » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:51 pm

I've played a little less than a year now, but have noticed gains in distance with my putters and midranges. Not so much in my distance drivers. There seems to be a drop off after I switch from say a Teebird to a Wraith or faster. I have small hands, but get decent snap.

Here's my distances, any ideas?

Putters ( kc aviar and rhyno ) 280-300ft
Midrange ( Rocs ) 330-350ft
Fairway ( Teebirds mainly) 370-390ft
Distance ( Wraith or Boss ) 380-430ft , but usually 390-400ft

It seems like I can't get over the 400ft effortlessly. Granted I can't throw a normal frisbee so I don't know if spin, wrist motion, or more snap needs to be applied?

Any ideas? I feel like I'm in a good range as for as progression, but would like to open up some distance for longer holes. Doesn't help when you see the course pro, Garrett Gurthie bombing 700ft+ drives :lol:
lloydclarkesports
Noob

Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Drop off in distance

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:53 pm

I see no problem here.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby lloydclarkesports » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:05 pm

I'm not saying there is a problem at all, but there is always room for growth.
I would like to throw an effortless 400ft+ is all for distance holes that require longer shots.

Most of the time I do take the controlled shot with a roc or teebird and the distance I have with them is usually good enough for most holes, but I have trouble with longer holes with not being able to turn the pars into scoring opportunities.
lloydclarkesports
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:39 pm

Could be that you're not getting a good grip on the wide rimmed discs, hence they're not going as far as you would expect. It's a possibility.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby lloydclarkesports » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:54 pm

I was thinking that too since I have small hands. The smaller rim drivers I get really good snap, but once I get past speed of 10 everything seems to go about the same. Here and there I'll have a crush, but getting it all to come together is the tricky part. I assume with time and more experience things click better naturally as you build your strength around the sport, but any tips or critique I would gladly take.
lloydclarkesports
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:59 pm

Hard to say anything other than try to work on your grip strength and until then focus on the speed 10 category.

Give the Craze (CD) a try by the way. I was out in the field with a Farting Lemon Startana, US Masters Champtana, P-DD2, S-DD2 and S-CD, and the S-CD often flew just as long as the warp speeds with less effort, and didn't lose as much distance when I didn't quite hit it. That thing is sneaky long for a speed 9 driver.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby lloydclarkesports » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:10 pm

I've been thinking about trying that. I noticed in my bag the most understable disc is a Teebird. I use to throw effortless 400ft with a katana, but it got really flippy. The DD2 was a little odd to me, flew straight then just dropped off mid to late flight. How would you say the CD flies like?
lloydclarkesports
Noob

Postby Booter » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:14 pm

like a valk pretty much. It has the valk wing
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby lloydclarkesports » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Valks are no go for me, so maybe not.

Took the forgotten discs out today in the field and on a few holes, ended up consistently getting 400+ with a katana and DD. I didn't have to snap the katana very hard, just an easy hyzer pull through.

I would still like to get something a little more stable out 400+ though.

I'm up for suggestions.
lloydclarkesports
Noob

Postby keltik » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:08 pm

what's no good for you about valks? that may explain what's up.

other than that you will have to do like a lot of us did (and still do every so often) and that is start from scratch and work from the hit back. It is what this site is truly all about.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby lloydclarkesports » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:58 pm

Just super flippy for me, although I did hyzer flip some understable disc today and they turned out for good distance. I'd like something that would cut through the wind and be dependable distance. I can turn disc over on a slight anhyzer or hyzer flip for 400ft, but I would rather have something thrown flat.

Like you said, I probably will go through my pull through, hit point, footwork, and evaluate from there. This is indeed a good site for input and tips though.
lloydclarkesports
Noob

Postby zj1002 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:01 pm

dont think about distance when you throw, i generally throw farther when im not wrecking my mind with thoughts of throwing long. take like 2-3 days off(i know it's hard), and then come out relaxed just doing the basics. the discs will be bombing, guaranteed. when I keep it relaxed and smooth(everyone says it for a reason), the discs go on their lines and far.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby jubuttib » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:09 pm

More like a good Viking, I' haven't thrown a Valk that was as stable as my Crazes (well, maybe my beat P-Craze).
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby keltik » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:12 pm

now you have to re-examine your motives here. are you asking an equipment question or a technique question?

Equipment wise there are a multitude of discs that can hit 400+ thrown flat and perform okay in the wind. but you first have to have the proper technique. My favorite is the Z Avenger but it isn't so popular anymore. the new favorite is the PD (not sure which plastic though). another old favorite is the OLF. the Avenger OLF and PD are all similar. you may also want to look at the Starfire-X (it has a slightly wider rim than the other 3).
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:04 pm

With proper form a 175 DX Valk doesn't need a lot of initial hyzer in calm weather or rear winds. Have you read the get a grip thread? That may help with gripping. Look at the Discraft video of different grips from different pro players for reference. Which Katana did you throw because Stars are super overstable when flat. DD2 is a more stable pro Katana and long.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to Technique