Throw breakthrow - need help deconstructing why its working

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Throw breakthrow - need help deconstructing why its working

Postby ericlagstein » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi Gang,

In the spring I was playing a lot and I was throwing very well, no OAT, consistent and easy/powerful throw. I ended the spring winning two Am1 tourneys and really felt I *got it*. Since then work has been very busy and I have only been able to play once a month or less.

Next weekend is a big tournament, so I have been going to the field to practice and try to get back my old throw. To my disappointment, my throw has taken 10 steps backwords since the spring. I have been going to the field every day to work on drills and get my throw back...

Anyway to the question... as I was practicing in the field. I decided to do some throws with my *eyes looking at the disc as it passed my chest*. My goal was to see/make sure my pull was close to my chest. The result was instant power, tons of snap. The sensation was my old great throw, I was thrilled!

Here is the current problem:
If I *don't* keep my head looking straight (looking 90 degrees to the left of where I want to throw), my timing/power/snap disappears.
If I *do* keep my head looking straight, I throw beautifully, it's just my aim is inconsistent.

I believe if I keep my head looking straight, it makes my arm pull into my body before my whole body accelerates to the hit (probably the masterbeato stuff).
I also believe, if I consciously have to think about keep my eyes/focus on keeping my head looking straight, it is at the expence of mentally concentrating on aiming.

Geeze, does that make sense :shock:

Anyway, I'm hoping some tech gurious can speculate why keeping my head straight gives my timeing and power back. And maybe suggest a drill or suggestion to work through this?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance to anyone that helps!

Eric
ericlagstein
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Re: Throw breakthrow - need help deconstructing why its work

Postby JR » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:56 pm

Look at Dave Feldberg and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2o1SYXaOHE
See how late after the hit Tiger turns his head toward the target? Feldy says to do this in his clinic. I haven't yet tried it often enough to say anything about it because i hope i'm good enough at separating the weight of the head from the body with my flexible neck and a lot of practice. Feldy says this is the biomechanically correct way to throw.

Have you taken a video of yourself when you don't look 90 degrees to the left of the target? BTW. you should probably turn to face the target at the hit and follow through to the right of the target for added power generation.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby roman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:04 am

I was throwing some drives with masterbeato this summer and one of the things he pointed out to me was that I was opening my shoulders too early. When I tried to correct that I noticed that my head was facing "forward" longer while I resisted the shoulder turn until the disc was up to my right pec. I think that's what you're doing when you're not turning your head - you're delaying that shoulder rotation until the disc gets in towards your right pec and close to your body. Can't tell for sure without looking at you throw.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ericlagstein » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the reply and thoughts.

I agree with you Roman, that my head being straight keep my shoulders in a *load* position to wait for my arm.

I went to the field again today and I'm doing a little better. I guess I have to keep practicing to make keeping my head straight part of my throw. That said, it's a very tough habit to break. If I want to focus really hard on aiming, it seems to make my head want to face the target, which makes my shoulders turn early.

Any suggestions for a drill I could do to help with this issue.

I'm probably going to the field tomorrow, so I will get my friend to video me doing both types of throws.

Eric
ericlagstein
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby JR » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:09 pm

Standing next to a wall an inch between the disc and the wall and the chest and the disc with the the whole body facing the target move the disc from the reach back position to the right pec position with the arm alone. Everything else stays in place motionless. Don't touch the wall or your chest with the disc. After you get this going naturally move the legs, hips and shoulders to face the target after the right pec position. Try different versions of the head motion at different times to find out which suits you best.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique