Comet to 300 now what?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Comet to 300 now what?

Postby aDave » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Aside from mid game/putting I mean. :D

(RHBH)
My goal right now is a controllable 400ft by 40 years old.
I've got a year and a half left.
I have worked so hard with the Comet based on advice that it will clean up my form.
I've finally reached the magic 300ft mark with my 172g z-comet on a shallow (~12ft apex) straight line, flattening from very mild hyzer to a pancake landing.
Can I now claim "clean" form?
If so, what next?
I can hyzer to flat my 175g Champ Orcs out to ~350 on a ~20ft apex.
My 170ish Champ Sidewinders are now only really useful for extreme right turn distance and rollers.
Same for TL's.
Beat Pro Destroyer is still a bit much for me.
If I really have a great day and the gods are smiling on me I can get my aviars/wizards out to 300 too, but it ends up hurting my shins if I "go for it" more then a couple of times so I don't count this as a skill that's "in the bag".
I feel like I should be there (400) already but it's just not happening.
Do I need to go back and study the "stuck @ 300" thread", or am I at the stage where I need to be honing little details?
Or am I still a candidate for a complete form rebuild?

I know I need to post some video, and I want to. I just keep putting off the filming.

Thanks again as usual.
aDave
Noob

Favorite Disc: Beat floppy aviar

Re: Comet to 300 now what?

Postby jubuttib » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:08 pm

A video would be helpful, yes. But it would seem that you have a pretty clean form, the Comet is a touchy disc. At this point you probably just need to start pumping some power/speed into the throw. One of the biggest things I notice when I'm consistently hitting over 400' is that I feel like my grip on the disc is much tighter than when I'm under achieving. Hard to say without a video, but try to grip tighter at the hit and overall try to throw with more purpose, more power, not just effortless, clean shots. Maybe a longer reachback, etc.

I'm having a hard time believing a beat Pro Destroyer is "too much" for you. My brand new Pro Destroyers flew very nicely even on off-days (barely topping 350').
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Redisculous » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:23 pm

Comets are really forgiving of nose angle, I would just pay close attention to your shots and make sure this isn't an issue. I also find myself throwing drivers too high after throwing alot of comet shots.

Just a couple things to think about from one guy who throws comets to another.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby aDave » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:57 pm

jubuttib wrote:I'm having a hard time believing a beat Pro Destroyer is "too much" for you. My brand new Pro Destroyers flew very nicely even on off-days (barely topping 350').

Yeah, there are certain throws that it flies nicely on but it's rarely farther than my Orcs and it's harder for me to control, which is why I feel like it's a little bit much right now. But man when I do nail it, it's a beautiful disc. It's really cool how a disc thrown with correct technique and power just comes alive!

Redisculous wrote:Comets are really forgiving of nose angle,

That's what I was wondering. Nose down issues are the hardest for me to correct so far, and I had a feeling that the disc was forgiving of it.
I've hit it just right on a couple of occasions but it's definitely not consistent.
I have the same effect with drivers flying high after Comet work if I'm not careful.

Both of these comments are right in line with what I have been thinking about lately, so it feels good to get confirmation. Thanks.
aDave
Noob

Postby JHern » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:41 am

You have to turn the disc over and have it enter the glidey phase of its flight to get max distance out of it. Nose angle is everything, because if the nose is up through the turn, it will still be up when it tries to glide out and this will cause it to stall and fade short instead of allowing it to penetrate further forward at higher speed.

Altitude is also important, but the higher you throw the more nose down is required. Get the disc up higher (40'-50'), get it to turn over as it is going through its apex, keep the nose down, and you'll get 400' out of it, I assure you.

A slightly beat Pro Destroyer is perfect for you now, it'll go further consistently than just about anything else (unless you can find a reliable Katana...I haven't found one of these yet, but it will go 400' for me when I get the perfect hyzer-nose angle release).
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby aDave » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:17 am

JHern wrote:You have to turn the disc over and have it enter the glidey phase of its flight to get max distance out of it. Nose angle is everything, because if the nose is up through the turn, it will still be up when it tries to glide out and this will cause it to stall and fade short instead of allowing it to penetrate further forward at higher speed.

Yup this is it.
This is why I generally throw line drives. Getting the wrist angle right when aiming high is really difficult!
I've tried the beatoesque "above the crease" grip but it robs me of grip strength and my fat assed base of the thumb forces hyzer unless I roll my wrist at release.
I've been working on a "Jenkins" style that I read about here where you keep the disc out of your palm.
I can't really describe it.
I'll post a photo later.

It occurs to me that the "forced hyzer" of the beato way might not be an issue since I want to release hyzer on this shot anyway. hmmmm.
I'll have to be very aware of OAT, I imagine.
aDave
Noob

Return to Technique