Shoulder pause.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Shoulder pause.

Postby JR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:43 pm

JHern is right about the need to maintain the sequence of motion, separation of motions with the lowest parts of the body handing over work to upper parts in stages and the difference and difficulty of managing a long reach back. It can be learned but it will take effort and time. Maximum reach back needs good flexibility and a lot of strength to just maintain balance and timing. Timing is different. It took me months to get it together somewhat when i started to reach back 200+ degrees with the shoulder line instead of 180 or less. The added snag is that i'm in for another overhaul at some time when i notice my ankle and knee start handling the rolling toe to heel weight shift with heel pivot which turns me around faster than the ball of the foot pivots i've been doing. For non injured people the toe to heel roll then pivot executed correctly will be easier on the body on even tees. The need to also maintain ball of the foot pivot for me comes from a home course with unnatural tees and second shots on uneven ground combined with injuries that get aggravated from the foot hitting obstacles. I get more ground to heel distance than ball of the foot to ground distance which means less resistance to pivoting by moving over objects that would stop my foot and twist me leg, hips and back for pain and wear. Because the heel pivot turns me around so much faster timing of the arm acceleration and shoulder turn also change and that's gonna be a new mess that will probably take months to learn. And i need to maintain ball of the foot pivot simultaneously.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:52 pm

JR wrote:The arm can start out away from the body at the reach back because you aren't supposed to generate a lot of power then. Later is better. There is a benefit to the arm being away from the body at the reach back and that is the arm muscles will be looser. That means a quicker arm acceleration when you slam on the power. When you move the arm to the right pec position during the shoulder pause the arm should pass close to the body so that the arm won't slow down the body rotation.

There is another way to generate more arm power than straight back to front arm pull too. That is bent elbow with back to the target and shoulders as far left as possible that is 200+ degrees away from the target. Unfortunately improper timing of the body rotation early will get teh torso in the way of the disc. Something i've done too much this season grr. I'm a greedy bastard obviously not always waiting long enough to put on the gas :-( Argh. Lots of disc to rib collisions :oops: The reason i've done this is that for me this technique generates even more power than the arm to the rear left at the reach back.

It almost seems like you're describing how Matt Orum throws. I can't seem to retrain myself on the bent elbow style of throwing....maybe it is because I don't want to start over again.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby JR » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:11 pm

Now that you mention it i see the resemblance. I had never thought of it but Matt does throw like this.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby josser » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:59 pm

I was curious so I went and watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M7Dg5zke3s

He has a full reachback on this shot.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:29 pm

I watched Matty O in the USDGC 2009 distance showcase video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiA7sVs4iK0

Here too Matt didn't turn that far off the target which surprised me. I think i've seen him turn away from the target more at times. Don't remember where. Even in this vid Matt and another case that jumped at me Robbie Bratten turned the shoulders back farther than the hips. Neither of them turned very far back which is odd. 360 works for a reason.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Technique