Trouble with Stalker being too much disc

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Trouble with Stalker being too much disc

Postby Pwingles » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:16 pm

A guy i play with is having trouble with a few things, form, armspeed etc etc. Hes in his 40's but pretty athletic. At the moment hes having trouble throwing his buzzs and stalkers, they hyzer out on him quite often. Sometimes its due to nose up and insufficient power, but if seen him throw these flat with ~240 power and they just hyzer the whole way out of his hand. Obviously he has snap issues, amongst other things. Im trying to get him a few discs that he can put on some different lines and start there and build power up after his form gets a little better. Current bag:
Champ beast, pro katana, z stalker, avenger ss flx, 160's RR, 2 Z buzzz's heavier, dart, juju, kc aviar also he has a Roc he has been playing around with but doesnt like it really

I know, overlap city, but he seriously doesnt have the arm for any of those discs really, sometimes he OAT's his RR or Avenger but he cant flip or throw an anny with any of the other discs on purpose.
*Also he throws RHBH only, maxing out at about 250 but not accurately

My goal is to simplify his bag but also to get him a couple molds he can work with.

My first suggestion would be
Keep the RR for D, anything but a headwind.
Light Pro Leopard or a Gazelle/Cyclone maybe for anything straight or straight to right
A mid 170ish DX Eagle X for windy shots and hyzers
Keep the Z buzzz for overstable mid duties
Add a comet for more options and to help with form issues

As far as the putters go he seems to putt well with the Dart, im not sure why he has the other 2 he never uses the aviar off the tee, and the juju well its a juju

any better suggestions or other additions?

Help me get this old bastard to 350 by next summer :)
Last edited by Pwingles on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Re: Trouble with Stalker being too much disc

Postby aDave » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:45 pm

I'm 38 and started less than a year ago. The Comet (and reading this forum) has helped me get to 350.
Obviously he will be different from me, but buying that Comet and throwing it over and over again has been the best thing for my game (so far). My "for real" bag is 168 Z Comet, 168 Glow Buzzz, 171 nicely seasoned Champ Orc, 175 Champ Sidewinder, 171 Champ Leopard, soft Ion, and KC Pro and floppy rubber Aviars.
I think that this bag is perfect for my level. I live in Charlotte and am usually between -1 and -5 (if I don't play Nevin or Renny :D ).
aDave
Noob

Favorite Disc: Beat floppy aviar

Postby JR » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:47 pm

It is just guesswork what his troubles are. So it would be uninformed to give advice about discs. If he has a slipping grip about the only thing that is almost as long and easier to grip than Buzzzes and Stalkers is Latitude64 Spike. A less gliding version that is slower and shorter is Pure from the same company. They are fairly insensitive to nose up so they won't teach him much. Nose up throwing is better cured with teaching proper form rather than being patched over with discs. The same goes for OAT but nose up limits distance more than OAT for people just starting and at those distances. That is the reason why a RR might be more helpful than a Leo. He'd probably score better in the short term with the Leo if he can grip it equally well. For longer term and learning to throw drivers RR will test his skills more and give feedback of more form flaws and more clearly.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Pwingles » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:44 am

his problems are identifiable, all the ones i listed are problems he has, so the only thing i can think of is to start by simplifying his bag a bit with molds that will allow him to cover every shot but still allow him to be working on his form. After he gets his form straightened out, we'll work on adding power, then we'll work on a bigger disc selection.

*im including footwork also when i say "form",what i mean is all aspects that go into a succesful throw , we are going to have to tear down his throw and start from scratch but hes a quick learner and willing to accept constructive criticism so it shouldnt be as big or an ordeal as it might with others.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:51 am

I'd simplify things big time to really strict bag minimalism and role minimalism by choosing only discs that will reveal immediately all the form flaws. So just one driver that is nose angle sensitive enough to show it and otherwise putter and a mid. Until the worst form flaws are rectified. Then discs that fly left or right are better ideas to add on top of straight discs. This is the situation where is support mold minimalism the most. You have to earn your way out of minimalism if you want to. And more power to you if you don't need to. That's a good indicator of skill if you don't need to stray from minimalism.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Pwingles » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Thanks for the advice JR, i think i will start there, maybe have him start with a Gazelle, Comet if i can convince him and his Dart and have him do that for 10-20 rounds and then re-evaluate
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Sounds like a plan but the Gazelles i have are even more demanding than the Stalker because they fade earlier and harder. A Leopard would be longer but neither are nose angle sensitive for drivers. Stalker is pretty insensitive to it too. RR would show him the nose angle requirements.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Pwingles » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:04 pm

i see what youre saying, we'll try that
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique