Numbness in fingers

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Numbness in fingers

Postby Itchy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:14 pm

So lately I've noticed that from time to time my fingers get numb and then weak. I'll be writing something and the pencil will fall out of my hand in the middle of writing a word. It really hasn't bothered me on the course until today though. My drives all nose planted and my putts were all short. Anybody ever had this happen? What did you do to fix/help the situation?

Oh, and it's not because it's cold outside... it's 72 degrees. I think it's something wrong with my fingers/hands.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Re: Numbness in fingers

Postby vtbuzzz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Could be a pinch nerve...I had that happen to me when I broke my elbow due to the swelling. Your doctor might be able to tell you better. But that is what it sounds like to me but I'm a respiratory therapist not physical therapist or an occupational therapist.
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:35 pm

Definitely sounds like nerve trouble and you certainly don't want that. Trust me i know this from personal experience :twisted: Stop throwing for a few days and no heavy exercising. Just minimal stress motions. For the first day don't do a thing. Wipe with the other hand. Really. You need to get the swelling down. Cold helps. A minute or few three times a day could help. But where is the area that has the pinched nerve? That is difficult to say. It could be in the elbow or the top of the forearm in the muscles that turn the hand to the right from hand shaking position. I'd start there just below the elbow.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Itchy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Looks like I'll be taking it easy for a while then. Thanks for the replies. It feels like it's mostly my thumb, but my fingertips get numb too so I don't know what's going on. I hope it just kind of goes away on its own.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby JR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:42 pm

Before i had surgery to remove scar tissue that was pressing on my arm nerves the pain radiated to every finger at times and into many places. You can't pin point the source of the troubles by the point where the pain is reflected. At least if you are a layperson.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby vtbuzzz » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:46 am

there are too many nerves that all connect so it is kinda difficult as a lay person to really pin point...also it can happen for no reason or from sleeping wrong. When I was in the army I woke up with my ring and my middle finger numb for no reason it lasted almost a month then one day it was no longer numb. You may be fine if you ignore it but its definitely something to keep an eye on and if it gets worse have it looked at.
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Return to Technique