i cant throw anhyzers, need help

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

i cant throw anhyzers, need help

Postby burt21 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:22 pm

so im a mid level advanced player and can flip over destroyers for up to 400 feet. I have always thrown sidearm when other people throw backhand anhyzers. whenever i need an anhyzer i throw very hard hyzer release but the high speed turn flips the disc over for me. A very talented buddy of mine told me to get better at anhyzer shots. I played today and threw all backhands and had a very hard time on left to right holes. I have the power to hyzer flip into an anhyzer but that is not always the best shot. whenever i try to throw a true anhyzer my hand readjusts on its own at the last second to just throwing flat to hyzer just with the nosed tipped straight up instead of the outside of the disc up. I need some tips or things to practice to get good at anhyzer and turnover shots. fyi i throw xcals, destroyers, sidewinders, teebirds, tl's, buzzzes comet rhyno aviar

thanks guys
burt21
Noob

Favorite Disc: teebird

Re: i cant throw anhyzers, need help

Postby MrScoopa » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Try arching your back. Be more weight forward. Pull tighter to the chest. Have a little higher than normal pull. Try to whip your non plant leg around during the pivot.

For turnovers get a DX Valkyrie and beat it up a little.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby JR » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Start the arm low at the reach back knee height is still fine. Then get the disc moving in front of your face or higher and follow through low. This is for sky annies. For lower flights and keeping faster more overstable discs anny reach back higher and release lower.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby garublador » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:51 am

I find it's all about getting the shoulders on the right plane and keeping them there (telegraphing helps a lot). Try the hammer pound drills first to get the feel for the hit on anhyzer shots and then build your throw back from there. If you've already done this for flat or hyzer shots it should go pretty quickly. Start on shallow anhyzers and work up from there.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby FierceTable » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:00 am

Follow the above advice if you want to actually think about what you're doing. If you're the type that doesn't like to analyze and just want to do it without thinking, throw backhand rollers with stable to overstable discs. Don't flip the disc, try to release it on the angle you want it to land like you might with a forehand/overhand roller.

I find the easiest thing to do when you think you "can't" do something is to try to do the opposite of whatever your problem is. I see a lot of beginners struggle to throw flat shots and everything comes out hyzer. They say they can't throw flat and I tell them to try to throw an anhyzer. They don't want to throw anhyzers and I don't care...once you can make the disc come out on two different extremes you can slowly work on refining the middle ground. Once you can throw backhand rollers take some of the angle off. You'll end up throwing cut rollers. A little less angle and suddenly you're throwing anhyzers. Once you get past the roller stage you'll probably want to switch to less over stable discs so they won't pull/flex out of the anhyzer line. Biggest thing to remember is that anhyzers need more air, but if you leave the nose up instead of throwing higher they will stall and you will be left with an absolutely terrible shot.
FierceTable
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby emiller3 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:59 pm

I throw over 400' from hyzer or flat, but I really struggle with anhyzers because I tend to not get good wrist extension on them. While holding a disc, do an anhyzer arm chop out in front of you and notice your wrist angle and extension while you do it. Notice that a neutral wrist angle (i.e, not cocking your wrist down) and fully open wrist put the disc at a nice nose down anhyzer angle. If you release before you get that wrist extension during your throw, none of the other things will help because the disc will come out nose up to some degree and will often fight against the angle you try and put on it. Keeping the disc close through the pull helps get you in the right position to do that.

I once threw a brand new Roc on a 330' anhyzer line all the way to the ground when I was working on wrist extension. I was trying to throw flat but accidentally threw with a fully extended and neutral wrist. That was eye opening for me. I play with n3tw0rkn3rd a lot, he's much better than me at anhyzers and he can throw high anhyzers with stable discs that hold all the way to the ground even with a low to normal pull and release, and I'm convinced it's because of what he does with his wrist.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby MrScoopa » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:09 pm

Technique repair. - "I can't seem to throw an anhyzer."

"After reading a Q & A with Swedish pro Tomas Ekstrom, he describes a way of adding snap to an anhyzer throw. Start with the disc in your hand in a position like you have just unlocked a door (aka roll your wrist counter-clockwise). Begin your throw and right near the release point, lock the door. This should roll your wrist over and add a bit of "flick" to the motion. "

That might be what he is doing emiller3
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby masterbeato » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:01 pm

anhyzer technique; throwing pure anhyzers.

reach back is over your shoulder plane-not under like you do for hyzers
weight focus is on your heel as you reach back and pull through
keep your spine straight, this helps for correct weight transfer
pull through with your elbow pointing upwards, really tight to your body i would say neck height

this is how you really throw overstable discs for distance as well like predators, X2's, XXX's and other discs alike. this will take a lot of work to do but if you have this shot it is very very useful and be aware that this technique is very different from hyzer technique, it is the opposite.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby masterbeato » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:03 pm

you can adjust angle of release by playing with degree of anhyzer as you reach back by left edge of the disc being down towards the ground. if your a lefty it would be right edge of the disc down.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Return to Technique