Getting good at putting

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Getting good at putting

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:42 pm

What is the best drill to do or way to get really good at putting? I have tried to just putt for awhile on a regular basis and it doesn't seem to translate onto the course for me so what should I do to get good at it?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Getting good at putting

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:49 pm

I have been asking any pro I am friend with on facebook what to do and so far here is what I have got...

-putt 200-300 times a day from 28'
-play worst shot rounds by yourself (throw two discs, have to make both putts, etc)
-just do it, it isnt hard (lol seriously)

and that is it. I am going to keep asking people and will post them when they give me responses.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby JR » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:05 am

People should train with the same routine that they use in rounds. There are many how to threads here.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:36 am

Check out the discraft putting confidence video. I am sure you already know how to make a putt, putting well in round is all confidence. I have already seen improvements, and do not have a basket to practice every day. (will again soon though!)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby mark12b » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:41 am

Yeah, there are a lot of putting threads. Lots of good tips there. In general I'd say:

- Practice specifics. Don't just throw 300 putts at the basket; work on hand position relative to the disc, release position relative to the body, finger spring, pitching through the apex, nose angle, hyzer/anhyzer angles, dealing with the wind, simulating tournament pressure, etc. -- always be working on something specific. And not too many things per day, either.

- Stop practicing when you lose concentration. If you find yourself not caring and you're just goofing around, your practice session has gone too long. Stop, you're not helping your game.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:57 am

with regard to the advice received from "pros" via facebook, I would go with the second piece of advice before the other two. When I play by myself, I always throw from behind where the disc lands...I know that it only adds 10 inches or so but its a start. I have definitely noticed that practice putting percentages don't translate to the course necessarily. Putting well in a round comes down to guts more than smarts often and I sometimes lack guts...or is it smarts?
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Postby curt » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:12 pm

When I play by myself, I always throw from behind where the disc lands...I know that it only adds 10 inches or so but its a start.

I usually do this too, but because I'm lazy. One thing to be careful about though is changing your routine for tournaments. If you don't ever put a mini down, except during a tourney, it is going to add pressure to you and throw you off a little. My solution was to not use minis in tournaments either.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Mixed Bag Madness » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Besides repetition from practice (to increase muscle memory) it's all about confidence. I do the same exact routine in practice and tournaments whether it's 10 ft or 100 ft. I also do as stated above and putt on hyzers, anyhzers, one knee, turbo, etc. I take my time during practice and treat every putt like it's for a win. After doing this the past few years my confidence has skyrocketed. I step up to every putt and tell myself that it's going in. I KNOW I'm gonna make it. This especially helps during a scramble or a par putt. It's a good feeling to be able to score better than people who throw 50ft farther than you because of putting confidence. Drive for show-putt for dough.
PA1s-Rocs-FLX Drones-Teebirds-D3s-Destroyers-D1s
Mixed Bag Madness
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pumpkin Rocs

Postby what'shisname » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:16 am

I finally got my basket setup in the basement for the winter last night. Last winter I used some couch cushions as a basket setup but it's just not the same. I've got 18' to work with with the door closed and up to 30' if I back up through the open door. I plan on using the Perfect Putt 360 game all winter at least once a day, hopefully more. It's not perfect since it's indoors, but I figure it should help with the mechanics and the confidence which I believe is the biggest part of putting.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby masterbeato » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:03 pm

what'shisname wrote:I finally got my basket setup in the basement for the winter last night. Last winter I used some couch cushions as a basket setup but it's just not the same. I've got 18' to work with with the door closed and up to 30' if I back up through the open door. I plan on using the Perfect Putt 360 game all winter at least once a day, hopefully more. It's not perfect since it's indoors, but I figure it should help with the mechanics and the confidence which I believe is the biggest part of putting.

hitting putts = confidence builder. watching the disc go into the basket as many times as possible is good for your self esteem. no matter where the basket is. it sucks practicing in below zero temps and snow and wind, even though it toughens you up, sometimes it is not worth freezing to death.lol

working on mechanics in a pleasant way makes you want to practice them. i give you...2 1/2 kudos.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby josser » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:53 pm

what'shisname wrote:I plan on using the Perfect Putt 360 game...

The hwhat? I'm always game for a new game (wordplay!).
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby what'shisname » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:43 pm

josser wrote:
what'shisname wrote:I plan on using the Perfect Putt 360 game...

The hwhat? I'm always game for a new game (wordplay!).

http://wilkesdiscgolf.org/Perfect_Putt_360.pdf

I've had to modify the game a bit to take out the 30' shots for practising in my basement due to a couch and a doorway being in the way. :(
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby jubuttib » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:15 pm

Not saying this is a good way to practice, but I don't want to clutter up the board with additional topics: I've been putting quite a lot lately, and noticed that I can easily get distracted from training the technique to trying to hit the chains. This leads to me forgetting to concentrate on my form, which leads to a messed up technique. So I stopped looking at the basket while putting, I just look at the floor in front of me. I line up my shot and then just forget the basket and try to keep my form in shape. The basket is still there whether I look at it or not, it's not actually necessary for me to keep staring at it. If my technique is working, the putt sinks anyway. My consistency is often actually better like this, the disc flight is more consistent, I hardly ever miss left or right, 90+% are a tad low. I'm not going to do this forever, just until my form begins to feel consistent and automatic, then I'll go back to aiming properly. But yeah, it's been working.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Come to think of it, this reminds me of how we do it in golf...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:02 am

In golf you are looking at your target, you are hitting it with a club. . . The ball. In disc your target is the basket, you are hitting it with the disc.

My question however, is do you look at the chains when putting in a competitive round? I have always been under the impression you should practice how you play (or intend to play) to gain confidence.

That all said, my form needs work and practicing the way I do doesn't seem to be doing it a ton of justice. And you are a much better player than I. . .
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jubuttib » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:39 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:In golf you are looking at your target, you are hitting it with a club. . . The ball. In disc your target is the basket, you are hitting it with the disc.

My question however, is do you look at the chains when putting in a competitive round? I have always been under the impression you should practice how you play (or intend to play) to gain confidence.

That all said, my form needs work and practicing the way I do doesn't seem to be doing it a ton of justice.

Well, I'm not exactly looking at the ground, more like I'm focusing on the release point, and watching that. This works ever better with the golf metaphor.

I look at the basket during competitive rounds (I only stopped looking a couple of days ago, and the season is over already. I'm just preparing for next year), but I'm in the process of overhauling my putt and now I'm mainly building muscle memory. I can keep my mind on my form better like this, and will gradually reincorporate the aim when I start to feel confident with my stroke again.

EDIT:
And you are a much better player than I. . .

No, I'm not. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Next

Return to Technique