Question On Throwing Specific Molds 500'

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Question On Throwing Specific Molds 500'

Postby Mike C » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:50 pm

I was wondering something today as I was preparing to head out for field practice. The field I practice at is about 490' long, and my goal is to out throw that field someday.

The discs I typically try to do this with are Cyclones, OLF's, Nuke's and Destroyers.

My question is are there specific lines and heights I should be going for? I'm trying to eliminate as many variables as I can, so that the only thing that will be holding me back is working on form / snap to achieve that last 70-50'.

So to fly 500', how much height would these molds need? As far as line I'm guessing flat release for discs stable enough to come back, and hyzer flip for ones that aren't?
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: Question On Throwing Specific Molds 500'

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:07 pm

Cyclone and OLF will likely need a 30' apex to go that far. The Nuke and destroyers are looking more at a 15-20' apex. Its very difficult to throw flat and nose down at those heights, I would recommended hyzerflipping all of those, the destroyer and the OLF can be thrown very far with an anhyzer release (as the nuke in a tailwind), but will require even more height to get a full helix in. Some of my largest recent bombs were where I have to anny over a tree and am throwing 50' or so apexes with a newish Z nuke or Z force.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Pwingles » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:01 pm

its hard to throw 500+ on a pure golf line, most holes just dont allow it. I find that the easiest way to achieve this distance is by virtue of a hyzer flip turnover shot, thrown out pretty far to the left for a RHBH and with about 30 ft of height but that really just depends on the hole, it flips up, then turns, then stabalizes, glides some more, then fades. In an open field it would be about the same, im not capable of hitting 500 without throwing 20+feet in the air. There is a hole on a course in a nearby town that is 510 and slightly downhill right near the basket so when it fades it gets a few more feet since the ground is sloping with the fade, the hole is shaped perfectly for this shot and ive overthrown it a couple times, a tailwind doesnt hurt either :). As far as which molds and how, the only molds i know for sure ive thrown that far with are Nukes, Katanas, wraiths, bosses, and a beat champ teebird (just that one specifically, not the mold in general) It takes a pretty perfect throw and good conditions help for sure, but all the times ive gotten that far out its been on that line.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby pg043 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:06 pm

the longer you can make your disc hold an anhyzer angle, the farther it will keep itself in the air
PDGA #36459 | Destroyer | Xcaliber | Leopard | Teebird | Banshee |Drone | Buzzz | Wizard
pg043
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby Pwingles » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:19 pm

given that youve put enough snap and height on it yes it will help, but no height=obv not being in the air long enough. Not enough snap=the sooner it will try and come out of the anny , so you need both one or the other isnt enough
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Return to Technique