Losing and Regaining FH Distance

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Losing and Regaining FH Distance

Postby Whiz » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:01 pm

I just wanted to make a post as recently I have had a hard time throwing what was previously, for me, reachable FH hyzer holes in the 325-400' range. Through reading some technique posts on here regarding BH technique and playing a round with Geoff Bennett who has a pretty decent FH I realized that I had been throwing without utilizing the power from my legs and hips. You could say I had been strong-arming my FH throws. I got out to the field and making sure I was opening my hips to fully face the target I was able to get some good throws close to my previous FH range. Hopefully this will be helpful to someone out there struggling to reach that next FH level.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Re: Losing and Regaining FH Distance

Postby JR » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:45 pm

Have you watched the video of FH driving form that ChrisWoj posted on Youtube? He stresses the usage of legs and the hips and shoulders. Just like a perfect mirror image of standard DGR BH advice.

People tend to forget things i know i have. I hope i remember all my tricks until the spring arrives. What did you pick up from Geoff? Last Sunday we practiced FH throwing with mafa tossing Rocs and Rhynos back and forth. In the end i got much faster wrist action by first training wrist alone throws without any other motion anywhere. Then adding arm pull still standing still. At first i wasn't able to get a good snap from the wrist. Once i did mafa had extra steps to take :-) It's snowy around here so stand still FH and BH training is needed. If i can add a run up while getting equally good snap with the Avery Jenkins type of pre throw disc waggle then full round swing of the arm my FH leaps forward. Previously i've shied away from training FH and throwing hard because of injuries. Those issues seem to have been alleviated enough for me to start practicing. Unfortunately my rear thigh upper joints don't seem to be strong enough to really push hard in cold weather. I wouldn't want to get new injuries. So run ups are probably best left for next spring. Getting a solid arm action is great.

Once again my snap of the wrist in practice seems to move forward first in the FH not BH throws. My wrist is not super strong i think and i'm way faster and stronger with FH wrist motion. That helps in stiffening the wrist in the elbow chop limiting the wrist motion back from the acceleration. Changing the motion of the wrist motion from a hinge to a spring and i did feel the elongation of the tenser than i'm used to wrist area forearm tendons until the arm was becoming straight and the arm was almost straight when i actively with muscle power flicked the wrist forward. Those throws went nicely farther than the ones with a limper wrist.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby gianetics » Thu May 05, 2011 12:46 am

i am no expert, but reading the post i was thinking of how much more active the hit is for the fh than the bh (maybe thats my bh problem). with the bh and fh reach back i am relaxed, but as my arm swings forward fh at my left peck i really "push forward with my left shoulder/right soulder/wrist/fingers. when i get it right the disc is not throw it "jumps out of my hand and covers 300 ft in less than 2 seconds.
gianetics
Noob

Favorite Disc: flx buzzz

Postby JR » Thu May 05, 2011 1:20 am

Wrist moves farther and faster FH because the muscles are stronger into that direction than BH. And not just the wrist but the upper arm too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BrohanSolo » Thu May 05, 2011 7:51 pm

Are you taking a run up or not? I've recently found that my run up was ruining my shot. Not only couldn't I turn my force over but I would often flip it and get random results. By just taking a few steps and doing a cross step I feel like I'm getting a great power transfer from my legs/hips throw my core and right out my arm into the disc.
Athletes Train Movements, Not Muscles; you have to carry the engine.
BrohanSolo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Force

Postby JR » Sat May 07, 2011 3:03 pm

BrohanSolo wrote:Are you taking a run up or not? I've recently found that my run up was ruining my shot. Not only couldn't I turn my force over but I would often flip it and get random results. By just taking a few steps and doing a cross step I feel like I'm getting a great power transfer from my legs/hips throw my core and right out my arm into the disc.

I don't take run up steps usually because i don't need them. That is the holes around here and bum ankle and back and throwing far enough FH standstill that farther than that i can anny BH and keep the angle to the ground if need be. Run up steps will of course give you more D once you master the body control. Running has the advantage of having momentum to aid you in aiming. If you run at the target you can have small variations in stepping timing and placement that are overridden mostly by the initial momentum. The downside is everything happening faster with lesser margin of error. Once your run up is automated the momentum aiming helps in aligning the line between the shoulders with the running direction and the target in the reach back easier than with x stepping. Dunno why exactly. This happens for me at least but it may be that my pot belly needs extra energy to turn round enough in the reach back and back again at the hit :-) Light steps are handy.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Technique