Pulling putts to the right. Every.Single.Time.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Pulling putts to the right. Every.Single.Time.

Postby CatPredator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Going to vouch for the short arm technique. A simple, quick, compact motion is the way to go. Initiating the shot with your palm also makes it very easy for the fingers to manipulate the nose and wing angles. There is very little room for error and hardly anything to think about.

Though I'm not sure, I assume apex putting is just a lob where you throw the disc up to a certain height, depending on your distance from the basket, with a little nose down and let it glide into the chains or even land in the basket. Changing to this approach has also worked really well. You never see the blow bys or splash outs that people who putt flat and hard do either.

Combining the short arm technique with that sort of lob putting has been pretty amazing. I cringe every time I see someone "throwing" their wobbly ass putter at the chains instead of popping it out quickly and smoothly.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Blake_T » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:54 pm

apex putting isn't so much a lob as it takes advantage of the putter's natural drop (even if it's flat or nose up).

it's based around several principles:
1. a putter that is flying on a slightly downward trajectory as it approaches the chains is more likely to stay in the basket. there is greater makeable surface area to hit and bounce outs are reduced.
2. you are more accurate at closer range rather than longer range. most people can drill 90% or better from 12'. if you are 20' away and aim at a box in the air that is 12' away, you can hit that box with 90% or better consistency, which is most likely a much higher percentage from trying to hit a target from 20'.
3. a putter that is on its way down as it reaches/passes the basket will land closer to the basket than a putter that is flying flat and passes the basket.

even if the putter only "drops" 6-8" from its apex, it's still using a downward angle. the biggest contrast contrast are nose up putters that are flying a flat line when they reach the basket.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby CatPredator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:12 pm

Really been digging that approach to putting. Great results. Kudos.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:24 pm

the only real benefit your going to get is to get out and rep putts like a mad mofo. its not as complicated as most people think it is, not even close. if you get pop on your putts and they come out on line and you have nose angle control your doing it right. remember the feel, and replicate the feel.

perfect practice makes perfect.

a lot of people dont realize how much you have to practice. it doesnt take anything less than 5,000 a week if you expect to get it in 3 months. it doesnt take 25,000 a day to get it in a week. it takes dedication to your practice hours.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby CatPredator » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:37 am

For me it just clicked one day...and after that the reps became learning to judge wind and make my putter pierce through or ride it.

Beto your putts look different than most everyone else around here. It's difficult to tell where the power is even coming from. After I felt the pop though, I understood and couldn't even remember how I used to putt. Was weird. Now it's difficult for me to even attempt a limp arm slip putt. Even watching other people do it is hard...
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:10 am

CatPredator wrote:Beto your putts look different than most everyone else around here. It's difficult to tell where the power is even coming from. After I felt the pop though, I understood and couldn't even remember how I used to putt. Was weird. Now it's difficult for me to even attempt a limp arm slip putt. Even watching other people do it is hard...

yeah i will have to agree with that, my putt looks way different then most people. i think it looks icky, but the disc comes out clean and kinda floats. its still tough to see when watching a video. glad to hear about your success and feeling it is half way there.

if you can feel it or do it at least some of the time, you can see it a lot easier. i play now where i cant wait til i get to the point of a hole where i have to putt.heh
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:08 am

Blake_T wrote:
slowing down gives you more time to enter your head and muck things up. i've adopted the mentality of "the 2nd disc you picked up off the ground and threw at the basket after you missed your putt always goes in." a pure throw, pure reaction and instinct. step up and fire. if you've had the practice, have a rock solid release, and have gauged your distance/wind/risk correctly, the putt should go in. if you putt this style, rapid fire practice putts are actually beneficial.

I have people tell me all the time I need to slow down. But I am the type to just do it. I know the distance and wind already. I've made the type of putt before and know what I have to do. So I just get up to my mini, do my normal routine (mine is two arm pumps and then the putt form itself) and just nail the putt. Of course I miss sometimes and people think its cause I went to fast, but it was just a missed putt. I took it from doing the same thing while shooting thousands and thousands of free throws in my back yard. Get a routine and do the same thing every time.

Everyone is different. What works for one person might be different for another. That is where practice comes in. Find out which you are better at. Some people take a lot of time and so don't.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby masterbeato » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 am

Buzzz,

I have the same stuff going on with me as well when people think because i missed i just went way to fast and that i am jerky with my putt for people who do not know me. people that know me, know i can putt well, but the people that do not think i just miss all the time and they tell me to slow down. not to be mean or disrespectful to anyone else but i do not listen to them, because chances are your a better putter then they are and i know i am by watching them and knowing what im capable of. i bet you know that about yourself as well. i gave everything a practice shot and kept it and i know what works and what doesnt, i know what works for me, and what doesnt work for me.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby emiller3 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Blake_T wrote:if you are 20' away and aim at a box in the air that is 12' away, you can hit that box with 90% or better consistency, which is most likely a much higher percentage from trying to hit a target from 20'.

I thought I was the only person who did this. All I've ever heard is aim at a link or aim at the basket, even for apex putting. This is my go-to method for getting my putting back on track whenever I start leaving my putts short.

Sometimes I'm unable to visualize the box, especially if I'm out of practice. It's also harder to trust the box when I'm out of practice. But when I'm seeing it and trusting it, 30' putts truly are as easy as 15' putts.

Sometimes I'll also imagine a post as tall as or a little taller than the basket halfway between me and the basket. Sometimes I'll imagine a level line from my release point to a link near the bottom of the basket that I can't fall below. Most of my visualizations are designed to give me something else to focus on when I step up to a putt and I feel like I'm going to choke and leave it short. When I get out on the course and things are going well, I usually go back to aiming at a link. Maybe I'll stick with the box more often.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby masterbeato » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:38 pm

i figured im weird because i dont think about anything when i putt i just step up and throw the disc and it goes in the basket.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby Blake_T » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:35 pm

masterbeato wrote:i figured im weird because i dont think about anything when i putt i just step up and throw the disc and it goes in the basket.

you start feeling that way if you practice regularly and have broken ~40k in the reps department.
Blake_T

Postby masterbeato » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:33 pm

i figured as much. the amount of work i have put, and continue to put into this game makes me come to the conclusion that i dont have to think about much anymore. if i lack practice and i am stranded than thats where i have to put some thought into what i am doing and do the best that i can to execute. other than that if i continue to at least maintain to stay sharp at a bare minimum, everything will be auto-fire.

i noticed that i have to release myself from caring (putting much thought into it), but not to the point where i lose focus before every shot i take, and to just do it. only practice can give you that release.

i have been really thinking about the conversations we have had about Tim Duncan. he is a very humble person, but i can see when he plays and executes, he is not so much.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:50 pm

The only thinking I do when I get to my mini is about how the putter is gonna slam into the chains. I personally think you shouldn't be thinking about form or anything. That should all be done in practice and putting should be second nature.

Btw, back to the original topic of the thread. I am a spin putter and I do have a day every once in a while where I pull things to the right too. It could have been caused by a couple things, but whenever this happens I just sit at the practice basket after a round for about 30 minutes and it fixes itself. That is generally my response to everything when it gets sloppy or off. I just go to the field and rip drives for a while, or sit at a practice basket and sink putts.

This also makes me think about how my home course doesn't have any pro that can dissect form or anything.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Blake_T » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:56 am

missed putts happen for 1 or more of 5 reasons:
1. improper gauging of distance/power/drop rate.
2. improper wind adjustment/compensation.
3. botched execution of the putting stroke.
4. bad luck (some spits, bounce outs, etc.).
5. psyche out.

1 and 2 are overcome with practice.
3 is overcome with technique tweaks and practice.
4 can be partially overcome by choosing your lines, how you enter the basket, putter, etc.
5 can be overcome in like 92 different ways.

when you practice 1 and 2 enough you can get to the point where you do this automatically. you can also appear to be better at this by planning your landing zone based upon the wind at the basket.

3 is the tricky one. IMO, 10% of your misses should happen by 3 and 90% by 1, 2, and 4. missing to the right is a chronic problem and usually because of your putting style. the end result is that the style shows its weakness and refining it until it is no longer a weakness is the best result.

someone asked me today why great putters get so pissy when they miss a putt. i explained it kind of like this... if you get to the point where you pretty much can everything within a certain range you start believing that you will make everything within that range and you aggressively run everything within that range (aside from unfavorable risk/reward situations). even though you made the previous 15 putts within that range, the 1 that misses you feel SHOULD have gone in, especially if your miss was because of #1 or #2 or #4 and by like 1/2". it's sort of like how mike tyson must have felt when buster douglas knocked him down. the "wtf, im mike tyson, i knock you down, you don't knock me down" in a "wtf, i make putts, wtf is this miss shiz."

it might seem kind of cocky to be that way, but if you start getting automatic it's earned to have that kind of confidence.
Blake_T

Postby CatPredator » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:53 am

Blake_T wrote:when you practice 1 and 2 enough you can get to the point where you do this automatically. you can also appear to be better at this by planning your landing zone based upon the wind at the basket.

A new layer of strategy unlocks once you develop some confidence if your putting technique and approach game. Manipulating nose/wing angles is becoming 2nd nature. I get a little excited when I'm putting into a headwind or crosswind. Lack of nose angle control is what makes windy days scary...

For me, #3 is the most disappointing kind of miss. Hopefully the OP has got the problem fixed by now. I went through a few streaks like this before I found that sweet release and it makes disc golf a lot less fun!
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Technique