Super Duper Accuracy

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Super Duper Accuracy

Postby emiller3 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:26 pm

This is a bit of a spin-off of the grip/arm speed thread. Didn't want to derail it.

I'm happy with how far I throw, but I want to get more accurate. Last summer I got really accurate at a time when I was working on 80% throws and just in general getting in touch with the late acceleration part of my throw. I lost my distance, though. I gained it back once I started working on the Incomplete Secret Technique stuff, and I still have good accuracy thanks to body positioning and easily repeatable form, but I want my accuracy to get much better. I saw in the Incomplete Secret Technique thread that Blake was advocating using your thumb as a guide for super easy accuracy. A few others agreed. Now I see Dave D's tips and all the talk about the importance of the thumb, and I'm thinking that I need to get better at this.

I have virtually no idea what's going on at the end of my throw. I've never done the late acceleration drills. I know how to place my body during the run up and transition my weight with the correct timing, and I know how to pull tight and set myself up for nice late acceleration, but once my hand passes my chest, the rest of my throw is a blur and it either happens right or it doesn't, based on how well I've execute the earlier parts of the throw.

Sooo, who here is super accurate? How did you get that way? How many of you can control your disc pivot enough to aim the disc, like Blake was advocating? How can I work on getting more awareness of what's happening as I'm accelerating through the hit?
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Super Duper Accuracy

Postby MrScoopa » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:39 pm

I'd say it has to do with thumb push. If you are pushing with your thumb (as a result powering through wrist extension) you are aware of its position and can aim(point) with it.

Now that you mention it I haven't hit a single tree since I have been working on this(i'm talking 2 foot gaps from my view angle). That doesn't count having the disc turn a little early and it smacking a tree. :P

Here's Blake's post on thumb push if you are interested!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17581
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby biodarwin » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:02 am

Everyone is different, but for me it was more accurate, repeatable footwork coupled with release point recognition. I believe the latter will apply to you given your statement about not understanding what happen at the end of your throw.
Orc | Valkyrie | Teebird | Leopard | Buzz | Aviar
Buy/Sell/Trade??? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16798&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc,Leopard,Teebird

Postby JR » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:50 am

I am not repeatably accurate and much of it comes from playing when i'm tired. Conserving strength by not ripping 100 % each time can help a bit. Getting into shape and resting before playing work obviously. Beside infrastructure playing catch gets quick repetitions and you can change your throw from muscle feedback. I got help from repeatedly practicing aligning my run up and x steps with planting position and the wanted hyzer angle combined to a late acceleration moving in the exact direction of the run up. This way i don't lose that much accuracy when turning my back to the target for full power rips. To get repeatable hyzer angles from throwing one needs to have a loose, warm stretched etc. muscle in the back beside the shoulder blade. So that the two won't collide and yank the arm swing plane off course. For me the great push forward was a straight line pull in the late acceleration toward the aiming point. So it was the vector and motion feedback ending in the thumb pointing at the target at the rip. Not just the rip. Visual aiming helps too. If you never break eye contact with the aiming point it helps too and it will keep the power levels down which helps in avoiding the wrist breaking. so obviously you need wrist strength and tensioning it up. Where is a matter i have to research for my understanding. My current hypothesis is to tense up the wrist not the forearm so much as the elbow starts to shop open. That has to do with the wrist snap and plyometrics. Unfortunately BH is much worse for me muscle power and hurting wise than FH. FH works per theory with added snap when i dial it in BH not so much really. I need to get even more muscles to handle the acceleration, braking and shaking of the muscles and tendons. I have an arm injury that will never heal completely. Progress will be slow if i get any. I have miles to walk but i'm sure the direction is right based on results from FH. I just gotta pay my dues.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique