Learning to throw with both arms

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Learning to throw with both arms

Postby CatPredator » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:26 am

I've been rebuilding my RHBH form for the last couple months to break that 400' plateau. The info from Blake and others I found here made sense right away, but it still required a surprising amount of practice to adjust my muscle memory to get that disc tight and up into the power zone before rotating and accelerating the disc.

One day, pretty early in the process, after some significant frustration, I decided I would use my left arm to do some backhand drills that work from the hit back. I got good results right away. It was easier to learn the timing with my left hand. I think it's because I didn't have to break the bad habits and muscle memory from thousands of shots like I did with my right hand. Like it was better to start from a place of total confusion(LHBH) than the one where I was comfortable already(RHBH).

My left hand is still way behind my right hand in terms of power and accuracy but I never expected I would develop one at all. Happened in a fluky way. If anyone else is really trying to rebuild their form from the ground up, step by step (this really requires you to open your mind and it feels weird, kind of like throwing with your off hand), you might find that it's just as easy to learn to throw with both arms.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Re: Learning to throw with both arms

Postby JR » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:58 am

Dave Feldberg said that in his class those that start from scratch surpass those that have played a little within two months.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby masterbeato » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:22 pm

JR wrote:Dave Feldberg said that in his class those that start from scratch surpass those that have played a little within two months.

i'm screwed
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby JR » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:13 pm

Nah you're committed and experienced and well informed enough that you'll do just fine. Give it time and practice and it will come. Just like anything you reap what you sow. It's just a matter of putting in the necessary effort.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby CatPredator » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:18 am

Beto can already throw farther than Feldberg. He lies.

I didn't know Feldberg was teaching classes but his words make some sense. It's extremely rare that a new player picks up a disc and develops good form right away, unless a pro is showing you how. Breaking bad habits can be a set back. I don't think it limits your long term ability to get better though.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:05 am

While learning to throw with both arms certainly increases your choices of shots, for maximum bragging rights learn to throw with both arms simultaneously.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby CatPredator » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:24 am

Stroked...with both arms.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Postby DaPats » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:52 am

since the summer i have been throwing left handed here and there. some rounds are dedicated to all lefty throws and some are just lefty off the tee. at first it was fustrating but through time and patience it has come a long way. i can hyzer and anny my putters off the tee to 200-225ft. it is getting more consistent and accurate as the more i play lefty. it is only a matter of time till the muscle strength and memory start to jel. drivers are a different story though. getting close to 300 but i am all over the place with them. more time and patience will win this battle of inconsistency. when learning lefty(if you are a righty) you are a noob no matter how much experience you got righty. its all about building that muscle memory and strength. a few things that helped along the way.
1. playing match play lefty rounds with a buddy. its tons of fun and laughs.
2. not caring and just having fun like when first starting to play(righty).
3. learning with putters and mids.
4. knowing mentally it takes time patience and practice.
5. doing things(normal life stuff) left handed to build muscle strenght. try wiping your butt. it sucks.
6. never give up.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:05 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:While learning to throw with both arms certainly increases your choices of shots, for maximum bragging rights learn to throw with both arms simultaneously.

:lol: I have a mental image of somebody filling their fists with discs, and chucking them all Bruce Lee style simultaneously.

Is this kind of thing covered by the PDGA rules? :lol:
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby turso » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:While learning to throw with both arms certainly increases your choices of shots, for maximum bragging rights learn to throw with both arms simultaneously.

:D

But yeah, I find learning to throw with the leftie easier, at least at the start, than trying to fumble with RHFH distance. I can do ~ok shots with RHFH, but the max distance for that is 200' or so of accurateish distance. Plus throwing BH gives you lots of choices as Mark said, and the most important thing, the bragging rights!
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby dgdave » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:02 pm

I didvthis a couple years back when I hurt my elbow/bicep. I got to where I could throw 330ish pretty damn accurately.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby JHern » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:40 pm

This is something a lot of pros have done, even if they've only used it for bragging or for opposite arm challenges against their partners. It is probably a good thing to do, if you have the time.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Return to Technique