Finding the hit, then building the throw

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Finding the hit, then building the throw

Postby CatPredator » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:20 pm

He is just extending his wrist 10-20 degrees past neutral on his reach back, using it as way to get his forearm relaxed. It's an extra timing check at first, and it can help develop feel. I guess I'll note here that you (Banjar) are not getting the disc up to the power zone and your release point could stand to move forward another ~12+ inches, but you are getting some snap.

I've seen that type of thing discouraged on the site before because it can contribute to accuracy problems and you can achieve the same snap by just maintaining a relaxed forearm/wrist and extending to neutral. There are pros who do it though. You kind of let your arm "bounce" while it's fully extended. Once you start throwing harder it seems like it could be slightly dangerous. You completely give up control of your arm for a brief instant which seems like it could result in injury such as hyper extension or tendon damage if your timing gets off and you try to pull too hard too early.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Banjar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:12 pm

CatPredator wrote:He is just extending his wrist 10-20 degrees past neutral on his reach back, using it as way to get his forearm relaxed. It's an extra timing check at first, and it can help develop feel.I guess I'll note here that you (Banjar) are not getting the disc up to the power zone and your release point could stand to move forward another ~12+ inches, but you are getting some snap.

I've seen that type of thing discouraged on the site before because it can contribute to accuracy problems and you can achieve the same snap by just maintaining a relaxed forearm/wrist and extending to neutral. There are pros who do it though. You kind of let your arm "bounce" while it's fully extended. Once you start throwing harder it seems like it could be slightly dangerous. You completely give up control of your arm for a brief instant which seems like it could result in injury such as hyper extension or tendon damage if your timing gets off and you try to pull too hard too early.
I agree with everything you say here - my throw is not exemplary in any way - but I've found the hit that was eluding me, so now I can start building the rest of a throw around it as this thread implies ;-)

I am not sure I agree that I 'extend' the wrist. too me it feels like a loose nudge or tap or something, like waving away a bug. As I pull the disc towards me the acceleration of my arm basically follows the weight shift in the disc as it swings inward, so my wrist stays relaxed. When the disc passes in front of me and I feel the disc pushing in the inside of my hand i try to straighten my wrist and hold on as hard as possible. Atleast I think I do, it is all conceptual in my head anyways.

The movement feels fluid and balanced in terms of power and acceleration. It is like casting a fishing lure. Right now my throw is like a heavy lure on a light rod, i have to do the acceleration slowly and gradually in order to get the best power transfer. Now I can start changing things, but I know what feeling I am going for in terms of timing, just like if I bought a new less flexible fishing rod. (sorry for sucky analogy).
I hereby commit myself to actually do the drills, rather than just trying them for a few times and expect results.
Banjar
Noob

Favorite Disc: changes daily..

Postby CatPredator » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:08 pm

In disc golf, wrist extension just refers to opening the angle between your forearm and hand past 180 degrees (neutral).

It sounds and looks like you are on the right track. You've got some snap going, which is great. Congrats on figuring some stuff out. Eventually, moving that release point out ahead of you farther will help you take full advantage of the natural levers built into the human body and generate more power with your hips and shoulders.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Previous

Return to Technique