Putting Question?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putting Question?

Postby AlpenGlow62 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:27 pm

My brother and I play often and I was taught that where a disc lands you flip it over towards the basket and you must shoot behind the far edge of the disc. My brother takes a step when he puts, and his foot is slightly in the air, and lands a full step towards the basket pass the line of the disc, is this within the rules?
AlpenGlow62
Noob

Favorite Disc: XL

Re: Putting Question?

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:36 pm

if he is within 10 meters its a foot fault. You cannot step past your lie inside the 10 meter circle around the basket. Outside that is ok.

As for flipping the disc, thats technically against the rules. You are supposed to use a mini (small frisbee) and mark the front of your lie and stand behind it. Flipping the disc is really common during casual play.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Dig It » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Well if it's just you and your brother playing then play how you think is fair. If you want to know the actual PDGA rules then I suggest giving these a look.

PDGA Rules
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby AlpenGlow62 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks guys, I really apprieciate it, found it from the link above:

803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off

A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

B. Stepping past the marker disc is permitted after the disc is released, except when
putting within 10 meters.

C. Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc
to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the
thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the
marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation . The player must demonstrate full
control of balance before advancing toward the hole.

D. A player must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any
obstacle that is a permanent or integral part of the course.

E. If a large solid obstacle prevents a player from taking a legal stance within 30 centimeters
directly behind the marker disc, the player shall take his or her stance immediately
behind that obstacle on the line of play. The player must comply with all the provisions of
803.04 A other than being within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc.

F. A stance violation must be clearly called within three seconds after the infraction to be
valid. The call may be made by any member of the group or an official. When the call is made by
a member of the group, it must subsequently be confirmed by another member of the group. A
player shall receive a warning for the first violation of a stance rule in the round.
Subsequent violations of a stance rule in the same round shall incur a one-throw penalty.

G. Any throw that involves a validly called and seconded stance violation may not be used by the thrower. Re-throws must be taken from the original lie, prior to subsequent play by others in the group.

H. The player may not retrieve the originally thrown disc prior to the re-throw, except in the
case of a putt from within 10 meters. Where a disc is retrieved in violation of this rule, a
one throw penalty shall be imposed without a warning.
AlpenGlow62
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Is my memory totally screwed up, or do you have the option of either putting down the marker in front of the disc, or just using the disc right where it is and just putting your foot behind it?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby curt » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:50 pm

Is my memory totally screwed up, or do you have the option of either putting down the marker in front of the disc, or just using the disc right where it is and just putting your foot behind it?

you would be correct.

803.03.A: http://www.pdga.com/rules/80303-marking-the-lie
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:16 pm

My brother takes a step when he puts, and his foot is slightly in the air, and lands a full step towards the basket past the line of the disc. Is this within the rules?

Not sure at this point. The Rules Committee hasn't determined what constitutes "establishing balance." If your brother does that, make him pause for at least one beat while balanced before continuing his foot forward.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AlpenGlow62 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:39 am

Very cool all of the feedback, I see where the marker is important and lined up with the front edge of the lie. It is a great game, I enjoy it very much!
AlpenGlow62
Noob

Postby rusch_bag » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:18 pm

Didn't want to make a new thread, but I have a putting question.

I am really working on a straight arm push putt and I am getting really frustrated with something. All of my putts are coming out with a decent hyzer angle on them and I can't figure out how to putt flat which I would really like to be doing. Is there some simple trick to make this happen?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby CatPredator » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Make sure the putter is in the crease of your hand and use your middle, ring, and pinky finger on the bottom of the flight plate to get a comfortable flat release. If I want to, I can putt inside 20' without touching the disc with my index finger or thumb, just from palm pressure and finger spring on the bottom of the disc.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby jaydub803 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:32 am

CatPredator wrote:Make sure the putter is in the crease of your hand and use your middle, ring, and pinky finger on the bottom of the flight plate to get a comfortable flat release. If I want to, I can putt inside 20' without touching the disc with my index finger or thumb, just from palm pressure and finger spring on the bottom of the disc.

Something I have learned about putting angle release is the ratio of the amount of my index finger and the line under it down my palm affects the release a lot. When I am aiming I judge my distance to decide the angle I need.(I use a natural test of parallax to just the distance of my putt. Cover the basket with the disc in your hands at arms length, and note how much back is visible around the edge of the rim) I usually make my grip by laying my disc down on the index finger line and wrapping that around the rim as I close my hand in a fan grip. Then, to adjust the release angle, I leave my finger out for hyzer, move a lot of it almost over the rim for extreme hyzer, or simply hook the tip of my index finger under the rim pointing right to the tip of my thumb for a flat to anhyzer release.

Another thing that helps my putts is aiming with my arm down to the tip of my thumb in a line to the right side of the target. Since I nearly always plan on my disc hitting the low right to center of the basket with a hyzer, I find that centering my body on the basket and lining my right foot down the side makes the side to side play of the disc flight play out right. A good quick check of body alignment is to start out with the aiming arm-thumb pointed at your lead toe, then, while focusing on the tip of your thumb, move up to the basket height in a straight line and then focus out away from your thumb and it should be aiming down that right side of the basket. I do this while lifting my off leg to to simulate the after-putt balance beat. If I am not pointed to the pin I am not gonna make it!
Build a bag a day and keep the boredom at bay!
jaydub803
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion shark

Postby jaydub803 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:32 am

CatPredator wrote:Make sure the putter is in the crease of your hand and use your middle, ring, and pinky finger on the bottom of the flight plate to get a comfortable flat release. If I want to, I can putt inside 20' without touching the disc with my index finger or thumb, just from palm pressure and finger spring on the bottom of the disc.

Something I have learned about putting angle release is the ratio of the amount of my index finger and the line under it down my palm affects the release a lot. When I am aiming I judge my distance to decide the angle I need.(I use a natural test of parallax to just the distance of my putt. Cover the basket with the disc in your hands at arms length, and note how much back is visible around the edge of the rim) I usually make my grip by laying my disc down on the index finger line and wrapping that around the rim as I close my hand in a fan grip. Then, to adjust the release angle, I leave my finger out for hyzer, move a lot of it almost over the rim for extreme hyzer, or simply hook the tip of my index finger under the rim pointing right to the tip of my thumb for a flat to anhyzer release.

Another thing that helps my putts is aiming with my arm down to the tip of my thumb in a line to the right side of the target. Since I nearly always plan on my disc hitting the low right to center of the basket with a hyzer, I find that centering my body on the basket and lining my right foot down the side makes the side to side play of the disc flight play out right. A good quick check of body alignment is to start out with the aiming arm-thumb pointed at your lead toe, then, while focusing on the tip of your thumb, move up to the basket height in a straight line and then focus out away from your thumb and it should be aiming down that right side of the basket. I do this while lifting my off leg to to simulate the after-putt balance beat. If I am not pointed to the pin I am not gonna make it!
Build a bag a day and keep the boredom at bay!
jaydub803
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion shark

Return to Technique