Back to the practice field !

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Back to the practice field !

Postby Smigles » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:10 pm

Ok, so here I am again with a little story. People who dont realy care for stories can skip right to the questions part :)

I had another thread around here where I got some hints, and since then it has been a amazingly busy winter. Semester at school is closing next wednesday, and of course I had to work all december, and also had to finish some projects for school that would usualy take months but I had to do them in two weeks because I played golf all summer, autoumn and beginning of winter :)

But now finaly I can atack the next season :) I will mostly focus on putting practice, because I am so bad at putting, it almost makes me cry at tournaments. I figure that it will improve if I put in enugh time. My goal is to go at least 2 times 30 minutes a day for at least 5 days of the week all year long. I figure that will help :)

I am kinda happy with my driving, and my middle game is what keeps my scores low, so I wont practice it that much, Mid range game is pretty similar to ultimate throws, anyway. But for driving, I want to work on my form. I think I have OAT ( aaaah the magic word ) and also issues with the inside of the hand facing upwards after release of the disc. I also have problems with my right foot not rotating ( or sometimes it rotates on the toes instead of on the heel ) and this puts stress on my right knee. Anyway, for all that, I will make a video THIS SUNDAY ( caps for emphasis and for me finaly doing it, i got a cam and all ) and post it here, so you can rip my form apart :)

About my throwing power : I can throw my aviars 275 feet, my buzzzes and comets ( comet if they dont turn and burn ) 330 feet, my normal driving range is between 360 and 400 feet ( with various drivers as Orion LS, X avenger, Destroyer ) and my absolute max distance I achieved so far is 425 feet with a Z Nuke on a nice hyzer flip line. ( side question : is it normal that my drivers dont go that much further than my midranges ? o.O For my feeling, the increase between putters and midranges is about right, and the increase between mids and drivers should be bigger. )

Now the questions part... It's realy just one question actualy. I got meself some slower fairway drivers, 2 leopards and 2 rivers. When I tried the leopard a few months after starting to play, I ripped them apart, they kept turning and burning and crashing. I got these 4 discs to try and make them keep the hyzer line all the way till the ground. Is that a good idea, yes ? Are there any other exercises that you would recommend with these discs ?
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Re: Back to the practice field !

Postby Beetard » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:08 pm

start reading the "I'm here sort of.." technique thread, get yourself some dowel rods and start trying to whip and fling them with the final couple inches of the throw motion. Put some good work into that, experiment, and then share if you get it or ask intelligent questions that have not been posted yet if you still don't have it.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Re: Back to the practice field !

Postby JR » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:25 am

Wrist can be helped by strengthening it with weights, rubber band exercise and a powerball. That may not be necessary if you possess enough muscles that can keep your hand in the proper angle by stiffening the wrist somewhat once you get to about right pec position. You need to find your best place and tension by experimenting with various combinations.

I suggest more 15 minute putting sessions so that you will be able to stay focused. Please make a vid of your putting so that we can see if there are new things to try there. A few different putts would be better to see if there is variation in your execution. That's super bad for accuracy, consistence and most importantly your confidence which when lacking undermines the first two big time. Creating a vicious circle.

The pivot needs to be seen to diagnose.

Your distance separation is quite normal from what i gather. Rivers vary Leopards are fairly close to each other within plastics but different to each other between plastics. DX being flippy and low fade, Champ straight then a mild but stronger fade than Stalkers and Star the same except harder fading. A good sign from a Leo is a long straight flight with a minor fade or no fade at all.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique