How would you play this hole?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: How would you play this hole?

Postby CatPredator » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:08 pm

The way you've photographed the hole, there looks to be only one line. Straight at the 6 with little/no fade at the end. My first thought is also Buzzz. Maybe a putter since the basket looks to be a good 60' beyond the wall. Depends on how up hill it is. There is plenty of height to work with.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby jakee » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:30 pm

It's more uphill than it looks. I thought I had read on here somewhere that FH shots are better for uphill. Don't really understand the mechanics of that but was curious to see if anyone would throw that way. There are guys who play there a lot who can throw overhand off the tee and get this sweet fade to park it under the basket. It looks really cool but seems like it would be a tough shot. Definitely out of the question for me.
jakee
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ahhh! S Wizard

Postby jakee » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:48 pm

masterbeato wrote:i would play a flat hyzer, nose up at the end with a wasp.

Nose up at the end? Can you explain that a little bit? When I actually get my disc up there it feels like I'm throwing nose down and drilling the wall @ the 6 or lower. When I concentrate on getting over the wall I end up throwing nose up off the tee and don't even come close. Would it make sense that I'm throwing the wrong type of disc for this shot? (Usually my DX Spider, next try will be a soft Wizard) If I throw my Spider at all nose up it just slows down SO fast and I don't have the power to get anywhere near it.
jakee
Noob

Postby masterbeato » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:24 pm

i will throw it nose down until it reaches the wall and then have it slow down nose up as it fades over the wall, but you have to throw it high enough so it doesnt fade into the wall but you gotta throw it nose down until it reaches a certain point around the wall. or a comet 50 degrees hyzer and have it fade the whole way while standing up slowly around the corner so it doesnt cut too much left.

i manipulate nose angle a lot when i throw. advanced form of shot shaping. its how you shape the flight that matters more than the disc selection.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby jakee » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks for explaining. Sounds like I need to get out to the field and do some serious nose angle experimenting.
jakee
Noob

Postby Itchy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:53 pm

Just saw your list of discs in the disc family portrait thread. Your Star TL 175 can be darn straight with a slight late fade if you throw flat-ish with a good bit of snap. So knowing your discs my recommendations are;

1) S Wizard
2 star TL
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby jakee » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 am

I had considered that too. I got the TL for Christmas and haven't played that course with it yet. The only thing I'm worried about with the TL is over-shooting it and ending up in a real bad spot. You can't really tell from the photos cause it's the dead of winter but there is a tree to the right of the basket and if you end up behind it it's pretty much a guaranteed extra stroke. Since I can get my Spider up there (at least to hit the wall pretty hard) I worry that the TL won't fade in time to stay in a good position for 2. Not that that matters much right now since I have yet to get up there off the tee. It will happen soon though. I just need to get off my butt, suck it up, and do the drills Blake has written up in the Training Assignments section to work on shaping lines without full power. Thanks for the advice.
jakee
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:56 am

If its a range your spider can reach (when you make it over the wall) the tl should still have a bit of fade, especially on a high line needed to make it up that hill.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby masterbeato » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:43 am

i would say that anyones main concern on that hole is to throw something to make sure they make it over the wall. you should be hitting a tree before or more often then hitting the wall.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby jakee » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:19 am

Fair enough. Getting ahead of myself. Next time I'm there it will be Wizard or TL off the tee. :)
jakee
Noob

Postby masterbeato » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:21 pm

with a wizard you can pretty much gauruntee a wall hit!hehe
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby Apothecary » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:56 pm

ion up the gut, ftw.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby masterbeato » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:23 pm

a softie 86 y0!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby jakee » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:35 pm

masterbeato wrote:with a wizard you can pretty much gauruntee a wall hit!hehe

Ok "masterbeato" I am going to bow down to your wisdom. Obviously I should be taking everything you are willing to dish out as gospel. :) I've been watching your vids. I'm playing this course tomorrow and I'm going to play my TL and hopefully get up there. I will get throwing my Wizard, Spider, and TL on video and kill two birds with one stone. We'll see how I execute and you guys can rip my form to shreds. Just bear in mind I'm still pretty new (I started this year around the end of may) and I just switched from driving forehand to trying to drive backhand. Anyone wanna tell me if I should post the video here or start a new thread in the video critique section?
jakee
Noob

Postby Dig It » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:42 pm

jakee wrote:
masterbeato wrote:with a wizard you can pretty much gauruntee a wall hit!hehe

Ok "masterbeato" I am going to bow down to your wisdom. Obviously I should be taking everything you are willing to dish out as gospel. :) I've been watching your vids. I'm playing this course tomorrow and I'm going to play my TL and hopefully get up there. I will get throwing my Wizard, Spider, and TL on video and kill two birds with one stone. We'll see how I execute and you guys can rip my form to shreds. Just bear in mind I'm still pretty new (I started this year around the end of may) and I just switched from driving forehand to trying to drive backhand. Anyone wanna tell me if I should post the video here or start a new thread in the video critique section?

If you want some critique then post it in the critique section so others that may not be paying attention to this thread will smell what you're cooking. You could also post a link from here to that critique thread for extra bro points.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

PreviousNext

Return to Technique