Slow In/Fast Out??

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Slow In/Fast Out??

Postby JR » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:55 am

cruz duck wrote:Thanks JR. Again, I will try to put it in my own words to ensure that I understand it.

If I am reading you correctly, you are saying that my description was right up to the point of acceleration. I have always assumed that the point of acceleration is in the right pec area. However, you are saying that the point of acceleration changes by person and by time. In other words, every person's point of acceleration is different and it can change over time. Thus people may want to experiment with their point of acceleration from time to time. Right?

Right. In FGCU clinic Climo shows a way later acceleration point than the right pec. Check it out on Youtube. There are a couple of FGCU clinics up there and both are must sees. A couple of local big arms swear by left pec acceleration being longer for them so ymmv. For the record those guys are way more muscular than most players. I think that you must have more power and nervous system speed than most to have an acceleration point that early.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Blake_T » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:19 pm

something to keep in mind is that it's easier to train the arm/wrist to behave on its own before trying to incorporate any larger motions.

that's why i try to isolate snap down to its bare components (e.g. hammer drills and some of the out motion work i've been going through).

bad footwork/hips can f this up.
bad shoulder rotation due to bad footwork/hips can f this up.

learn to do the arm correctly then re-develop leg work that makes the arm happen correctly.

the key is to draw from other sports/actions in order to develop the feel for the physics.

tennis/raquet ball - in motion = reaching the point of contact. out motion = when you try to launch the ball off the racket head with force and spin.

bowling - in motion = approaching the release point (beyond the bottom of the pendulum). out motion = when you snap the ball off your fingers and apply spin with the forearm.

hockey - a wrist shot is basically pure snap. for a slap shot the in motion is when the stick makes contact with the ice (and bends), out motion = the forward motion of the stick beyond that point.

there's tons and tons of things you've probably done that carry the same type of physics with it.

i mean, hell, even sawing a 2x4 in half with a hand-saw uses the same physics principles.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby CatPredator » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:26 am

Blake_T wrote:something to keep in mind is that it's easier to train the arm/wrist to behave on its own before trying to incorporate any larger motions.

that's why i try to isolate snap down to its bare components (e.g. hammer drills and some of the out motion work i've been going through).

bad footwork/hips can f this up.
bad shoulder rotation due to bad footwork/hips can f this up.

I know you've said it a million times but I'll testify. The feel is very important, particularly in the wrist. The problem I had, and see others have, with the ubiquitous right pec drill is that they are focused on the distance they get right away instead of developing the feel first. A lot of people try to force the disc out even harder than they would on a normal shot and have really poor results and just give up.

In order to develop the feel I had to get my forearm moving just a little bit with my shoulders (like Dan does in the video) so that I wouldn't try to force the disc out with my triceps and biceps right at the beginning of the out motion. When I flexed those muscles hard at the start of the out motion, the results were very poor indeed.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby josser » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:26 pm

I have been concentrating on snap for power levels in the 125' to 150' range. This only requires the slightest reachback and works from a standstill so I can focus on the proper arm positions, wrist extension and timing without other stuff getting in the way. I'm still having trouble getting the timing to work when I increase my power but I definately finally have the feel for a disc shooting out of my hand way faster than if it was powered just by arm speed.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Previous

Return to Technique