OATing or not.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

OATing or not.

Postby jaboc83 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:48 am

I'm curious as to how far you should be able to throw a DX Rancho roc without turning it over. I'm not sure if I'm oating it or if this is normal, but I can get about 275' before it started getting flippy. Should I be getting more distance before that happens or does that sound right? I'm not talking about rollers here, just gradually annys.
jaboc83
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: OATing or not.

Postby CatPredator » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:58 am

There are a lot of people who throw Rocs more often than me but in my experience a new Roc will fly stable for longer than that if you get a clean throw. If yours is beat up or particularly light it may turnover some. If you can't throw it on a hyzer at that distance, it's may be OAT.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby jaboc83 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:12 am

Yeah, these are fairly beat I would say but not light at 172 & 174. I can throw it on a hyzer without a problem however. Maybe it's not so bad as I was thinking; only a little bit of OAT. I just know that I fear flipping them way more than my z-buzzzes which I used consider a nearly identical match to my rocs for flight characteristics. I suppose that does make sense though as my buzzzes are newer, z plastic, and a little bit heavier. Maybe I'm just starting to develop more touch so I notice the difference between the rocs and buzzes more. Would you think that a Z-Buzzz would mask OAT more than a roc, or would a buzzz really be that much more stable?
jaboc83
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Aaron_D » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Saw a guy in clearwater throw a roc almost 400' with a low ceiling. Amazing.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby JR » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:25 am

I filmed Markus Källström throw 140 meters a little downhill a little turned over into a stiff front left wind at the Dutch Open. It's up on Youtube channel lcgm8 in the Dutch Open vids. Round two and the teaser. A local here throws probably 180 ones to 330' without flip from a flat release. I suppose that is common. You could get an 180 Roc to see if flips are eliminated because they are noticeably more HSS.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique