Windplay Chart for Newbs

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Windplay Chart for Newbs

Postby jenb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm still newb enough to need a windplay chart, but I couldn't find one that really laid it out the way I wanted. So I assembled this one. I can't think straight when I get winded, so carrying this thing along might help me out until I really get it down.

The trolls at DGCR bashed it but didn't have any major quibbles, so I thought I'd throw up for review by you experts to see if there's anything wrong, or missing. Please have a go at it.

WINDPLAY CHART

Headwind

-Disc travel decreased.
-Disc acts more understable.
-Disc rises.
-Shorter, more vertical skips.

-Use longer range disc.
-Use overstable disc and/or hyzer release angle.
-Use lower release point.
-Plan approach for short high skip.

Right Front

-Use longer range disc.
-Aim right.
-Use lower release point.

Right

-Hyzers lift.
-Anhyzers drop.
-Disc pushed left.

-Use lower release point for hyzers.
-Use higher release point for anhyzers.
-Aim right.

Right Rear

-Use shorter range disc.
-Use understable disc and/or anhyzer release angle.
-Aim right.
-Use higher release point.
-Plan approach for long low skip.

Tailwind

-Disc travels farther.
-Disc acts more overstable.
-Disc drops.
-Low angle ground skips.

-Use shorter range disc.
-Use higher release point.

Left Rear

-Use shorter range disc.
-Aim left.
-Use neutral release point.

Left

-Hyzers drop.
-Anhyzers lift.
-Disc pushed right.

-Use higher release point for hyzers.
-Use lower release point for anhyzers.
-Aim left.

Left Front

-Use longer range disc.
-Aim left.
-Use neutral release point.
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Re: Windplay Chart for Newbs

Postby JR » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:58 am

I think the reason why such a chart hasn't been made is that it gets way more complicated than that on real courses especially if you play. There really is no substitute for experience. Like in things such as: Speed vs spin, which type of flight the disc has like type 1 or 2 overstable (check out the main page article about disc selection), how many feet down- or uphill the throw is, do you need to go over or under an obstacle and how high you need to throw and how far the obstacle is, swirls around the trees, Swirls in open places, gusts in the wind and so on. There are so many variables that it is individual based upon form how winds effect flight.

I don't have the time or the energy to go into details now, i have fever. But one correction: There are variations to headwind skips based on how steeply and fast the disc hits the ground so distance to ground contact plays a part. If you throw fast and low into a headwind that the disc won't fade as much as usually but hit the ground flattish and short at high speed it might not skip up high but fairly forward and far because the disc tends to have a little nose up or at least the ground effect helps in pushing the disc back up. I don't know how often this happens to people with your power but at 400' speed 10+ discs do tend to skip farther because the disc gets extra float with decreased fade thanks to the added virtual airspeed. Which is ground speed + head wind speed.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique