Newbie can't throw distance drivers backhand

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Newbie can't throw distance drivers backhand

Postby Travis1010 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi all, I have been playing a little over a month now and I've been pretty obsessed, playing 4 days a week. I've also been reading the forums here every night as well as the DGCR forums. Up until this week, besides putting, I haven't been able to throw anything backhand. I have really focused this last week and practiced only using RHBH, and I can now throw my 171g DX Roc about 200 ft, pretty dead straight. I get about the same result with my 180g Element. I can throw my 174g Wizard about 125ft. The fastest disc I can throw BH is my 167g Leopard, but it doesn't seem to go much farther than my midranges. Whenever I try something faster(starfire, groove), it just fades to the left almost instantly. I assume this is because I don't have the speed/power to throw these? My question is: Should I just keep throwing mids until I can make them go farther, or should I try something like a Monarch, or a Avenger SS which are more understable? Or should I do something different in my throw to power those high speed discs?
Travis1010
Noob
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Newbie can't throw distance drivers backhand

Postby Travis1010 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:14 pm

After reading the "Maxing Out @ 350 ft" sticky, I have come to the conclusion that I am strong-arming it. I'm gonna go practice tomorrow without using arm strength and "swinging" my arm through loosely.
Travis1010
Noob
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Newbie can't throw distance drivers backhand

Postby Star Shark » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:38 am

The other thing might be that the faster the disc you're throwing, the more sensitive it will be to nose angle. If you're not getting your drivers nose down they're not gonna go all that far for you.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1466
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:27 am
Location: Studio City, CA
Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Re: Newbie can't throw distance drivers backhand

Postby Dookville » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:00 am

The Leopard is a thin rimmed fairway driver and a good place to start. I strong armed it in the beginning and I still strong arm some shots on purpose, just not for distance. The Monarch was a savior for me that I found out about after a month of chucking everything left. I watched Master B's video, and that coupled with the Monarch I was able to get some driver distance while I learned more about the game, equipment, and most importantly, technique. There is a muscle memory strength component that I am starting to reach now at four monthes in. I don't strong arm for distance any more and have increased the weight on some of my discs and I have a few discs that I can get out to close to 400', but that isn't really important on the course other than being the result of imporved technique that helps more hold lines and shape shots on the course.

I also bought a leopard in 150g weight for my daughter right after I got the Monarch. While showing her how to throw it, I started to dig throwing really light plastic. I was able to do all the things I was seeing others do and what I was reading about because it was easier to hold my mechanics together with the lighter discs.

There are those that will tell you that unless you are chucking a max weight Boss 400' feet you aren't anything. Screw em', put pride aside, throw understable discs, throw lighter weights, whatever it takes to help you maintain your sanity while you are practicing good form. Most importantly, relax, have a good time and keep at it.

Master B's Video: (Dig the Minnesota accent)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am
Favorite Disc: PAIN

Re: Newbie can't throw distance drivers backhand

Postby jubuttib » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:33 am

Also try to post a video in the video critique section so we can see what's going on.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Newbie can't throw distance drivers backhand

Postby anubis080 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:09 am

Travis1010 wrote:Whenever I try something faster(starfire, groove), it just fades to the left almost instantly. I assume this is because I don't have the speed/power to throw these? My question is: Should I just keep throwing mids until I can make them go farther, or should I try something like a Monarch, or a Avenger SS which are more understable? Or should I do something different in my throw to power those high speed discs?


Mids are a good thing to start with, try picking up a buzzz, or a comet to learn the basics. They will go much straighter for you.

I wouldn't have a groove or a starfire in the bag just yet. Look for something with a stability of -3 or so. Roadrunners, sidewinders, avenger ss. They'll start off going straight for you, but as you start throwing farther, you can learn to throw different angles and shape them through the air for different shots!
Halo, PD, Leopard, Buzzz, Hornet, Wizard
anubis080
Noob
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:03 am
Location: Quad Cities
Favorite Disc: PD, Hornet, Wizard

Re: Newbie can't throw distance drivers backhand

Postby Dookville » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:28 pm

anubis080 wrote:
Travis1010 wrote:Whenever I try something faster(starfire, groove), it just fades to the left almost instantly. I assume this is because I don't have the speed/power to throw these? My question is: Should I just keep throwing mids until I can make them go farther, or should I try something like a Monarch, or a Avenger SS which are more understable? Or should I do something different in my throw to power those high speed discs?


Mids are a good thing to start with, try picking up a buzzz, or a comet to learn the basics. They will go much straighter for you.

I wouldn't have a groove or a starfire in the bag just yet. Look for something with a stability of -3 or so. Roadrunners, sidewinders, avenger ss. They'll start off going straight for you, but as you start throwing farther, you can learn to throw different angles and shape them through the air for different shots!

I agree that mids are a good place to start, but ingnoring the driver won't help. There are some subtle differences that won't carry over from just learning how to throw the mids. The distinct advantages of throwing a driver far outweigh the restinace to learn use them.

I would also agree that a groove or starfire would be too much disc to have in your bag at this point. Lighter weight, understable, and keep practicing hard and flat until technique and ability force you to hyzer flip the discs to get them to fly properly. Leopards and Monarchs are great for this. Discraft XlL's come to mind as well, maybe even TeeBird or TL a month or so into platying.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am
Favorite Disc: PAIN

Re: Newbie can't throw distance drivers backhand

Postby Travis1010 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. I played a round with a friend today, instead of just field practice so I didn't get to practice my driving that much. However, I felt really good throwing the mids straight, and I even turned the leopard to the right a few times. I threw my buddy's teebird and it worked well for me, backhand and forehand. I think that will be my next disc purchase. I will try to get a video when I play next. Again, thanks for the replys.
Travis1010
Noob
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:03 pm


Return to Technique

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest