Where do you aim when you putt?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Where do you aim when you putt?

Postby Itchy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:36 pm

I've heard the term center right a lot when it comes to putting and that's where I've always aimed. I took that to mean aiming where the red line is, center of the pole a little to the right. It's raining here so I couldn't play today so instead I've been practice putting inside and watching disc golf YouTube videos. It seems that all the pros aim really low on the chains [blue line].
My practice basket is lot more forgiving than the baskets at most courses but the low putting seems to give less spit outs but I also hit the basket more. Wondering what you guys do inside the circle.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Re: Where do you aim when you putt?

Postby dgdave » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:43 pm

I don't aim. Im a pretty quick putter. I take a quick loom at the basket to set my feet, I look at the ground and do a putting motion a few time to make sure nothing hinders my stroke(twisted sleeve, headphone wire, etc) then I squat, look and throw.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Itchy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:46 pm

That's sort of what my Pops does. He looks at the basket, looks at his feet and flings the disc without looking back up. He hits putts too, says if he aims he'll miss. I've tried that, I miss by miles.
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:43 pm

Itchy wrote:It seems that all the pros aim really low on the chains [blue line].
Last time I payed attention I noticed them hitting surprisingly high. Anyway I usually aim more or less at the red line. If I start aiming lower I start hitting the side of the basket more often. And on longer putts I aim at the apex.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Star Shark » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:14 pm

I am almost exactly between those two examples.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Smigles » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:49 am

In the middle between the two lines you painted in. I aim at the pole though, not at a link.
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby Whiz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:27 am

I aim to hit my putter where the blue line is. If I am inside twenty or so I will aim at the blue or slightly above. If I am outside this I will aim that an apex that will allow the disc to hit where the blue line is. Any putts that hit higher have a higher likelihood of chaining out of/through the basket/chains.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby curt » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:11 am

I think that the idea that if you hit lower on the chains, it will prevent more spit outs is a little bit of an illusion. When you are constantly hitting lower on the chains, it looks like you have a lot of putts that would have spit out go into the side of the cage and stay in, because of the basket. However, the chains higher up on the assembly have more catching ability, so many of those shots would end up in the bottom anyway.

That being said, I'd say, aim for the very middle of the basket, it gives you the most room for error.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Whiz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:36 am

This is really just not true. Look at the diagram Blake posted awhile back about make zones for super tacky soft putters vs. harder less tacky putters. Basically, for a high percentage putt you want to aim to the center of the makeable area. The blue line is basically right around where that is. If you are aiming at the middle of the basket, especially on short putts, you will miss more putts overall than if you were aiming lower.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:55 am

Whiz wrote:This is really just not true. Look at the diagram Blake posted awhile back about make zones for super tacky soft putters vs. harder less tacky putters. Basically, for a high percentage putt you want to aim to the center of the makeable area. The blue line is basically right around where that is. If you are aiming at the middle of the basket, especially on short putts, you will miss more putts overall than if you were aiming lower.

Anybody have a link on this?

I usually aim for the center or just a smidge to the right (i'm rh), especially if I'm further out.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Itchy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:48 pm

Here's the golf jedi's topic;
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17218

Good talk in here... I'm starting to think maybe I've been putting more or less in the right spot, maybe I could bring it down a bit though. It seems that keeping it right (for rh putters) is more important than being too high/too low.
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:58 pm

Itchy wrote:Here's the golf jedi's topic;
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17218

Good talk in here... I'm starting to think maybe I've been putting more or less in the right spot, maybe I could bring it down a bit though. It seems that keeping it right (for rh putters) is more important than being too high/too low.

Thanks Itchy, that was an awesome read. I recommend this read to anyone that is nerdy and likes this sort of thing.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Blake_T » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:07 pm

i actually hit "all over" (and sometimes outside of :P) the make-able area. part of that is due to the lack of precision in my aiming (a la apex putting).

i might only hit the same spot 2 out of 10 putts even if all 10 putts go in. that doesn't bother me at all, assuming all 10 putts go in.

the higher you hit on the chains, the more dependent your entry angle becomes. e.g. if you hit above the red disc it will go in if the putter is dropping upon impact. if it is rising or riding flat you are going to encounter spits.

if you hit lower on the chains, the more prone you will be to hitting low. e.g. if you hit the blue disc with the putter dropping or riding flat you are okay. if your putter is rising to that point there is a chance you will catch nubs.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby JHern » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:56 pm

The best putters around here always hit the blue area. If the disc is dropping, and you miss slightly right or left, then it will still have a good chance of simply falling in the basket. If it hits the center pole, its as good as in.

I know a guy who can hit the blue from 40 ft about 95% of the time. And it always drops, never seen it spit out. I've been aiming for this area more often on closer putts, to avoid any freak bounces and such.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby DiscJay » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:44 pm

I actually aim at a point in front of the basket. It really all depends on the conditions.
DiscJay
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Comet

Next

Return to Technique