Where do you aim when you putt?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Where do you aim when you putt?

Postby throwharder » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:45 pm

I think your target should reflect your putters stability and your distance you are putting. Not to steal the thread, but quick question... I switched putters I love the feel and range of the new putter, but it is Soft X plastic and I am getting spit outs more...does soft plastic spit more center cut putts?
throwharder
Noob

Favorite Disc: Echo Star Teebird

Postby Blake_T » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:58 pm

throwharder wrote:I think your target should reflect your putters stability and your distance you are putting. Not to steal the thread, but quick question... I switched putters I love the feel and range of the new putter, but it is Soft X plastic and I am getting spit outs more...does soft plastic spit more center cut putts?

i answered that question in the linked thread earlier in this topic.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Sean40474 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:48 pm

Blake_T wrote:i actually hit "all over" (and sometimes outside of :P) the make-able area. part of that is due to the lack of precision in my aiming (a la apex putting).

i might only hit the same spot 2 out of 10 putts even if all 10 putts go in. that doesn't bother me at all, assuming all 10 putts go in.

the higher you hit on the chains, the more dependent your entry angle becomes. e.g. if you hit above the red disc it will go in if the putter is dropping upon impact. if it is rising or riding flat you are going to encounter spits.

if you hit lower on the chains, the more prone you will be to hitting low. e.g. if you hit the blue disc with the putter dropping or riding flat you are okay. if your putter is rising to that point there is a chance you will catch nubs.

When you putt, do you pick a spot in the air to hit or are you staring down a chain link? Do you think one method is more accurate than another? I kind of liken this to bowling and the arrows on the boards, some people stare down the lane and others focus on the arrows. It seems that more people state your accuracy will be better (thus higher scores) focusing on arrows as opposed to staring down the lane. Logically this makes sense as it is a closer object to hit or throw through.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Blake_T » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:26 pm

a box in the air that is like 10" tall and 16" wide.

at 15' i can't even see individual chain links heh.

i think it's much easier to hit the closer object. i've done tests and at 15-18' i can pass through (without touching the perimeter) a 2" tall x 10" wide target 3 out of 5. at 10' i can do it 4 out of 5.

with my apex aiming method i can miss that by at least 4" in any direction and still have it be good.

i don't try to be precise, i just try to get it into the basket.
Blake_T

Postby Monocacy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:35 pm

I aim at the apex, but I'm not good at imagining a spot in thin air so for longer putts I project a line from the apex to the basket and aim at the intersection. In other words, if the angle from my hand through the apex hits the chastity belt, I aim at the chastity belt and count on the disc to drop past the apex into the basket. This works particularly well if the basket has a pole or flag above.

For shorter putts, I just aim where I want it to go.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby fanter » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Dead in the center of the heart of the chains.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Sean40474 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 pm

I might have to try the apex method and see how well it does for me, I'm sure there will be an adjustment period....here comes sucky putting for awhile.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Blake_T » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:58 pm

putting is always about how well you can hit the target you are aiming for.

apex putting just gives a bigger target and it's closer to you = hitting it more frequently. it requires extensive knowledge of your putter's drop rate behavior due to gravity.

ways to miss:
1. technique malfunction (missing your target or having the wrong disc orientation at your target)
2. mis-aim/improper wind adjustment (hitting your target but picking the wrong target to aim for)
3. choker psyche out (wussing the putt, etc.)

the majority of my misses fall into the mis-aim category. for most people it's due to #1 or #3.
Blake_T

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:21 am

Blake_T wrote:putting is always about how well you can hit the target you are aiming for.

apex putting just gives a bigger target and it's closer to you = hitting it more frequently. it requires extensive knowledge of your putter's drop rate behavior due to gravity.

ways to miss:
1. technique malfunction (missing your target or having the wrong disc orientation at your target)
2. mis-aim/improper wind adjustment (hitting your target but picking the wrong target to aim for)

the majority of my misses fall into the mis-aim category. for most people it's due to #1 or #3.

Most of my misses are #1, but I do get the occasional #3 :P

I'll have to work more with my putters and pay attention to the drop rate.

I've been putting for some time now with 168 Magics and I've noticed a huge difference when i was just messing around with max weight magics. Seven grams don't seem like much, but I do feel it putting. I notice a glide difference and drop rate difference for sure. I must say that I do prefer putting with lighter putters. I do pull out the heavier ones when the wind calls for it though.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby jaboc83 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:03 am

Blake_T wrote:ways to miss:

This winter I've significantly reduced my issues with #1 and #3 by using the system Mark Ellis promotes in his youtube clinic video. The rough idea was to putt 15-30 min a day from locations where you know you can make putts to build confidence. I've noticed my comfort zone increase by about 15 feet and I don't get 'the yips' when putting easy shots under pressure anymore. I absolutely cleaned up in a game of HORSE the other day with a guy that used to beat me every time.
jaboc83
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby MR. WICK » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:21 am

Do not aim AT anything......aim though it. Think of Bruce lee and the one inch punch, not to the target....through the target. I usually pick a link to aim through.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Previous

Return to Technique