Lead foot rotation

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Lead foot rotation

Postby anubis080 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:28 am

I have a feeling I could be robbing my distance after seeing a lot of videos of pros. I rotate on my toes, not on my heel. I believe that rotating on the heel could open up the hips a lot faster and get that extra torque on the throw. Anyone care to shed some light on this?
Halo, PD, Leopard, Buzzz, Hornet, Wizard
anubis080
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD, Hornet, Wizard

Re: Lead foot rotation

Postby CatPredator » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:38 am

It has more to do with weight shift and which muscles you use in your legs to support yourself. If you're on your toes you may be leaning forward or sideways in a weird way and have your center of gravity up high. If you're back on your heels, it's easier to feel your connection with the ground and be more centered, with a lower center of gravity down in your hips/core to drive the shot.

That being said, rotating on the toes isn't fundamentally bad or anything. Totally possible to have great form and rotate on the toe, but it tears shoes up really fast. I had a problem with that for a while, heh...my advice is work on the weight shift.

GG gives a little tip that sort of explains it at 2:50:

CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Blake_T » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:15 pm

what kind of distances are you referring to?

people can go 450'+ with either method. if you don't have good snap timing changing your pivot to heel or toe won't magically grant that.

90% of the time people pivot too early regardless of heel vs. toe pivot.

there's different schools of thought on the subject.

heel gets more "brute force" involved. (think Mo Vaughn's baseball swing) heel pivoting requires immense trust in your footing but lets you dig harder.

toe is potentially more athletic. (think Ken Griffey Jr's baseball swing) look at martial artists that use conservation of momentum and count how many of them pivot on their heel during most actions involving rotation pivots (not counting capoeira this will probably fall between 0 and 1 :P)
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby anubis080 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:45 pm

Blake_T wrote:what kind of distances are you referring to?

people can go 450'+ with either method. if you don't have good snap timing changing your pivot to heel or toe won't magically grant that.

90% of the time people pivot too early regardless of heel vs. toe pivot.

there's different schools of thought on the subject.

heel gets more "brute force" involved. (think Mo Vaughn's baseball swing) heel pivoting requires immense trust in your footing but lets you dig harder.

toe is potentially more athletic. (think Ken Griffey Jr's baseball swing) look at martial artists that use conservation of momentum and count how many of them pivot on their heel during most actions involving rotation pivots (not counting capoeira this will probably fall between 0 and 1 :P)

I was thinking that the heel would create more "brute force" as well, leading to an increased acceleration. By pivoting too early, do you mean people open their shoulders prematurely?
anubis080
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:28 am

the pivot happens within a fraction of a second of the disc leaving.

basically, it's during the later part of the "out motion" of the wrist. if you look at a baseball swing, the big heel dig doesn't happen until they are "driving" the ball, which happens after the point of contact.

i was a bit wrong to say that 90% of players pivot early, it would be more correctly stated that 90% of players gain nothing from their pivot aside from knee strain relief.

if people try to concentrate on pivoting they usually pivot early. if people don't have good timing and don't force a pivot, they pivot late (after their arm is pointing 90 degrees to the right of the target).

when it really comes down to it, the style of pivot is of lesser importance, especially if you don't have timing nailed down. e.g. if you throw 370' with a toe pivot and you spend the time to convert to a heel pivot, you will still be throwing around 370' unless something else undergoes a major change too. so if you were to jump from like 370' to... 380'... that's not the striking result you are probably hoping for.

for someone with good timing, a heel pivot may yield the difference between say, 480' and 500-510', but at that point, i doubt i'd recommend it to anyone. at that point you're still dealing with percentage gains under 10%.

there are also hybrid methods of pivot that involve setting on the heel but still pivoting on the ball of the foot.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby anubis080 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:49 pm

I'll focus on my hit point first then :wink: Trying to work on not dropping my arm

From what you are talking about with the pivot timing, is it supposed to be like this? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAV ... rn-1r-1-HM

I see him plant, plant, plant, then right before the disc rips, the pivot strikes.
anubis080
Noob

Return to Technique