Tail wind Opto River drive flipped

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tail wind Opto River drive flipped

Postby Itchy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:21 pm

I threw my Opto River with a really strong tail wind today and it took off on an anhyzer route (what I believe most people call flipping the disc). I didn't put any more snap on it than I normally do, but it rolled over and faded right anyway (RHBH). I was wondering why that happened so that I can make sure not to do it again. Was it because of the tail wind, that is the only thing I can think of but I've never heard of a tail wind flipping discs. Right after that I threw a beat Z Predator and it stayed straight with a bit of hyzer at the end like I expected.

Freak occurrence?
Tail wind?
Bad form (wouldn't rule this out)?
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Re: Tail wind Opto River drive flipped

Postby vtbuzzz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:52 pm

My guess would be form, perhaps wrist roll. Imo
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Dookville » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:18 am

There have been some production variations with some of the lat discs. Disc production of certain models result in some being overstable while others on the same run are understable. I have a 172gm River that I could throw into a hurricane and it still fades, not the norm for this disc. My buddy has the same disc and he flips into the same hurricane. Throwing style, production run, oat, ?????????
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby CJ1998 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:05 pm

OAT is most likely, but the wind could play a factor, too. Was the tail wind from straight behind you, off to the left or off to the right? If the wind hits the bottom of the disc, it sails on exaggerated lines. If it hits the top of the disc, it dives to the ground prematurely. I'm suggesting it may have been a SE to NW tailwind supposing N was the direction you were throwing.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Itchy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:38 pm

It looked like this

So there was a tail wind that's mostly behind you and a little bit left to right. I've thrown the River on the that hole before and it fades left like I expect it should, but for some reason it decided it wanted to go the other way that day. Normally on a tail wind it flies it's normal line and just glides a little further than other discs before it breaks left... not that day though. I've been throwing a Z Pred ever since that happened out of fear it'll break right again. It is a wide open hole except for two trees I throw between (the circles) so the wind is normally there.
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kern9787 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:46 pm

Form the first post, it sounded more like the disc just wanted to go immediately off to the right. From your last post, it sounds like it stayed fairly straight most of the flight and finished off hard to the right.

What weight is the river?

What I imagine happened was your throw had the slightest amount of turn to it naturally (so much so that it would still have been a pretty straight shot had it not been for the wind). If you had the nose down pretty well on this throw, I could easily see the wind (coming from 7 - 7:30) taking the disc and pushing it and keeping it to the right.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Itchy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:38 pm

It is 171g.

Correct, it was pretty straight, but I could see it start wandering right then never came back and finished to the right.
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kern9787 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:47 pm

Itchy wrote:Correct, it was pretty straight, but I could see it start wandering right then never came back and finished to the right.

Yep, sounds like it had just enough crosswind to catch the underside of the disc and push right. River's definitely don't have enough fade to push back out of that (at least it would come out really really slow).
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Technique