Quick question about my drives today & grip question (kinda)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Quick question about my drives today & grip question (kinda)

Postby WellHungSmurf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:51 pm

I went to the course Monday and was throwing my Leopard straight, accurate and far (280-310) average. I was very pleased with my throws. But today I went to the same course, and every drive with my Leopard would start out straight and do a slight anhyzer and just keep going. I didn't think I was releasing it anny, but I couldn't seem to make it go straight or even hyzer. Will I be forced to throw it with a hyzer from now on? Do you more experienced players have any idea's as to what was causing a total different outcome from just two days prior?

I don't totally understand the lingo, but I'm fairly ceritan Monday my leopard was "hyzer flipping" and acting like an arrow with a slight fade.. I have no idea now..
Help please

also on a side note:
I have read probably over 10 threads, watched videos and looked at pictures of grips. I use the four finger "power" grip to drive. And my buddy ask me if I can feel it "rip" out of my fingers..

Now, unless I'm losing it, I do 2 steps, the x step and release. But I never feel tension or feel the disc "rip" out of my hands. I normally release it like I'm throwing a normal disc at a park. Just with a lot more hand speed.

Is this the proper way to drive? And i'm trying to wrap my head around how it doesn't slow the disc down if it's ripping fingers. It feels like letting go all together at once gives the disc the least resistance
WellHungSmurf
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzz SS

Re: Quick question about my drives today & grip question (ki

Postby Star Shark » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:34 am

There's a few possibilities.

1 - You're getting more on the throw and it's starting to turn over for you so for a straight shot, you'll need to hyzerflip the leopard. (Release it hyzer and let it flip up to flat).
2 - The leopard is starting to beat up a bit and the high speed turn is growing.
3 - You're getting the dreaded OAT on the disc.

Any of these are possible and it's difficult to diagnose which is which. Simple solution for now is to also grab a Teebird or EagleX to handle the straight shot with fade duties.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby WellHungSmurf » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:08 am

thanks for the quick reply, my leopard is getting beat up, it's DX plastic. Sooo that may be it, I truly hope it's not OAT... Any way to tell becides wobble?
WellHungSmurf
Noob

Postby JimW » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:24 am

If you're OATing a DX Leopard at that power level I doubt you'll be using the phrase "slight anhyzer" to describe the flight.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby GripEnemyS2K » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:27 am

^^ what jim just said
Rampage/Cannon | xXx | OLF | JLS | Drone | Cobra | Focus
GripEnemyS2K
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Postby WellHungSmurf » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:33 am

maybe it's just turning over to quickly then, I'll throw it with a slight hyzer and see if that fixes it.

Now onto my grip question, you shoould actually feel it "rip" from your fingertips right? Because I'm getting ok distance without this.. Could someone point me to a video or describe this, i'm slightly lost..
WellHungSmurf
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:57 am

A DX Leo turning over at 310' of power is nothing out of the ordinary. It's an understable mold.

If you're getting some real power into the disc your fingers should be able to feel it. Basically at the rip (when the disc rips itself out of your hand) you can't really hold it too tight. The tighter you can grip, the farther you can rip it. There's no such thing as grip lock, it's just gripping properly with bad timing.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Redisculous » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:20 am

I think "rip" is a really bad term. the disc actually "wrenches" out of your hand. The goal of not letting go is to get the disc to pivot around your index finger, which should be hooked under the rim, using the weight of the disc as a whole 'nother lever.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Return to Technique