Why is everything Anhyzering?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Why is everything Anhyzering?

Postby Jester87k » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:23 am

Ok so i use to throw hyzer like any newb but now that i am throwing with more power and what not every thing seems to fly with an Anhyzer i mean i can still throw hyzer but i have to really throw it on a Hyzer angle and lose distance so im just currious if this is suppose to happen or how can i fix this to gain more distance?
Jester87k
Noob

Favorite Disc: Force

Re: Why is everything Anhyzering?

Postby Kscustom » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:48 am

Um it took me a year to learn to throw hyzer! Slow down your footwork, but a little flip is good IMO
Kscustom
Noob

Favorite Disc: Flash

Re: Why is everything Anhyzering?

Postby Wyno » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:40 am

It's useful to make a distinction between disc flight and angle of the throw:
Hyzer - Releasing the disc with the outter edge at an angle lower than parallel to the ground. This will cause the most discs to curve to the left.
Anhyzer - Releasing the disc with the outter edge at an higher than parallel to the ground. This will cause the most discs to curve to the right.
High Speed Turn - The characteristic of a disc to curve to the right at the beginning of its flight when thrown hard.
This is taken from the Disc Golf Tips For Beginners article on the front page. there's a good Technique Troubleshooter as well, check out the All of my drives end up to the right section.

From your description, it sounds like you are turning over discs thrown with a hyzer angle. Try searching for Off Axis Torque (OAT) as well, that's probably the most common cause of this problem.
Blake_T wrote:off-axis torque refers to force that is applied on a plane different to the plane of the disc. it skews the flight of the disc off of a "pure" throw and is most noticeable on slower discs.
(...)
you are best off practicing hyzers with understable discs making sure to maintain a pure swing plane until you can get very understable plastic to hold a hyzer its entire flight.
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Return to Technique