Pull question

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Pull question

Postby Jak3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:43 am

I posted this on some random distance thread on DGCR but i always felt this forum has more knowledgeable people so heres a quick question.

When you are pulling through before you stop your elbow you are mainly supposed to pull using your shoulder rotation or do you pull hard as heck using muscles in your arm/dorsi muscle?

I read somewhere when you pull your not suppose to use arm muscles because when muscles are flexed you get less smoothness and snap.

When i go out to my local field for a couple hours and practice drives the next couple of days my shoulder blade/dorsi muscle, bicep, triceps and forearms ache really bad like i was just power lifting the night before. Im starting to think that when i pull i just pull it has hard as i can using all the muscles in my arm which is robbing my of D because im too tight flexing muscles in my arm.

Basically what i wanna know is what muscles do you use the most when you pull? Or do you try to minimize muscle use and just use shoulder rotation till the elbow stops?
Last edited by Jak3 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jak3
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Pull question

Postby Wyno » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:51 am

Jak3 wrote:When you are pulling through before you stop your elbow, are you mainly supposed to pull using your shoulder rotation?
When you pull you're not supposed to use arm muscles, try to minimize muscle use and just use shoulder rotation till the elbow stops
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby Jak3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:04 pm

You might of just solved a huge a problem area in my form, thanks.
Jak3
Noob

Postby Redisculous » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:11 pm

go read page 12 of the making out at 300 thread. Pay attention to the part where it says positions 1-3 are incidental.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby Jak3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Ya its all starting to make more sense now. Good read, thanks.
Jak3
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:03 pm

it's easier to not even think about it as a pull. it's more of a "getting the disc into position to hit it"

i've realized that most of the info about the pull is what has caused tons of "fast shoulder" issues. you don't even have to try to turn the shoulder hard or fast, even moving it in a controlled fashion will get the arm moving very fast. trying to speed up the rotation can screw things up big time.

true strength isn't even really applied to the throw until after the disc passes beyond your body.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Jak3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:52 pm

Thanks alot Blake. I was hoping you would have some incite on this.
Jak3
Noob

Postby mark12b » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:24 am

Take a look at this video of Christian Dietrich from BSF last year, a lot of the shots show this idea really well. You can see how the powerful part of the throw doesn't happen until after the disc comes in close to the chest. The good stuff starts around 1:13

mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique