So after a long winter of not playing, my throw is broken.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

So after a long winter of not playing, my throw is broken.

Postby isobar » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:00 am

So as the summer about ended, I tore my rotator cup and I took the winter off to let it heal. I went out about a week ago to play my first round. My putting was awful, which I expected without having any practice in 6 months. My approach shots were my saving grace, if it weren't for my Buzz, I would have shot 10 over par.

Now the part that I am worried about, all of my RHBH driver throws break right. I use a Flash, Nuke, Surge and Cyclone as my main drivers, and a buzz and wizard for most of my approach shots. I also have an Assassian just because I really like the name hah. So anytime I drive for distance right now, anything over 300', my disc will go about 100' and then turn over hard to the right. I'm guessing right now I am throwing the disc faster then my snap allows, but I want to get input on the people who know more about this.

Before I hurt myself, I could throw 300-350' with all of my discs on a straight line with little fade either way. I don't have a video to post, so any thoughts as to what it may be will help.

Also, I have really been thinking about investing in a few Rocs and Teebirds, as I am starting to think I am using discs that are out of my speed range, The nuke especially, even though it is the only disc I have ever got an ace with. So any input on this would be awesome as well.
isobar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Surge

Re: So after a long winter of not playing, my throw is broke

Postby derfernerf » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:25 pm

I know the same (but opposite) thing happens when you throw RHFH and throw too much arm and not enough snap. It shoots to the left, so I think you could be right about too much arm, not enough snap
derfernerf
Noob

Postby turso » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:01 pm

Sounds like OAT to me.

If that's your max distance, I wouldn't throw nuke for max distance. If you absolutely want to have a fast driver for distance, try the Westside King instead, would probably suit your arm better.

Dropping speed grade is never a bad idea, the world record has been thrown with a measly valkyrie after all, so speed isn't everything.

But yes, back to the OAT. It sounds like it more than anything else. Next time you throw keep a keen mental eye on what your wrist is doing, don't let it roll or you'll see the disc turning and burning.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby NoLifeLeft » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:56 pm

After winter I found that I was trying too hard which led to strong arming and a drop in both distance and accuracy. I had to step back and smooth out my form. It sounds weird but I got my distance back by not trying so hard.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Beetard » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:05 pm

I think your turning discs over and your rotator cuff problems are directly related.

Chances are the rotator cuff muscle you injured was your Subscapularis (wikipedia it) and that is making it uncomfortable to keep your arm up on the rip and followthrough of the disc; letting your arm drop as you throw is the source of off axis torque and is what is causing your discs to turn over (go right after 100 feet)

For most of the muscle injuries I've had, lightly working out and moderately stretching the injured muscle over the course of several weeks has helped said muscle regain acceptable strength and range of motion, though usually not as good as new.

Take it easy on the throws and don't let your arm drop. You'll have to sacrifice some distance, but if you start throwing gently and gradually increase how hard you throw with correct form, you should be able to stretch out the scar tissue that is binding your subscapularis without reinjuring it.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby isobar » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:42 pm

I probably should have specified, the Rotator cuff injury was not in my throwing arm, it was my left shoulder so besides the time off to let it heal, it really isn't the cause of anything.

I picked up a 12x KC Roc today, and am going to start using it and see how I do with it, so far I throw it about the same as my buzz, and it will help point out any flaws in my throws, going by how unforgiving it seems to be to any bad throws.
isobar
Noob

Postby isobar » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:36 am

Well I have stopped throwing my Nuke on most holes, and started throwing a Flash and a Cyclone primarily as my drivers. I slowed my arm speed down quite a bit and started focusing more on the snap. My drives still get the same distance, but my line is much different. I can now also throw my wizard and midranges as far as my drivers. Which makes me think I'm improving, but still missing something for getting my drives out there more.
isobar
Noob

Postby isobar » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:18 am

turso wrote:Sounds like OAT to me.

If that's your max distance, I wouldn't throw nuke for max distance. If you absolutely want to have a fast driver for distance, try the Westside King instead, would probably suit your arm better.

Dropping speed grade is never a bad idea, the world record has been thrown with a measly valkyrie after all, so speed isn't everything.

But yes, back to the OAT. It sounds like it more than anything else. Next time you throw keep a keen mental eye on what your wrist is doing, don't let it roll or you'll see the disc turning and burning.

I took your advice and grabbed both the King and the Northman. The king already flies consistently further than my Nuke, but not quite as predictable. I will keep working on it in the field and pretty soon I think it will replace my nuke for good. I mainly used the nuke when I needed a throw that would tail right for long throws, I don't know why, but my Nuke is the only disc I can control how and when it will fade right.
isobar
Noob

Return to Technique