help me win a dollar! did felberg say snap makes a disc flip

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

help me win a dollar! did felberg say snap makes a disc flip

Postby elnino » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:28 pm

two guys i was playing with asked me why i basically throw only four molds. i said i can snap more and the disc gets more stable. they both said the more you snap/spin a disc the flipper it gets. And they both seem to have heard it from feldberg on some video? so basically am i nuts or what?

links to the video would be awesome if i'm wrong?
Positive feedback 56 Trade
Destroyer=Firebird=Striker=Roc=Wizard
elnino
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird/wizard

Re: help me win a dollar! did felberg say snap makes a disc

Postby Jerrod » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:09 pm

Sounds to me like your buddies are confusing snap with off axis torque and/or power.
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby CatPredator » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Ehh this is a stupid bet. Snap generates both speed and spin, but snap itself doesn't really have a great definition. Stability is related to the movement of air over and under the disc and the rotation of the disc. That being said, spin will generally stabilize a disc and speed will destabilize (flip) it.

Someone with no snap or speed won't be able to flip anything, while someone with huge snap and velocity will be able to flip everything.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby kern9787 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:01 pm

CatPredator wrote:Ehh this is a stupid bet. Snap generates both speed and spin, but snap itself doesn't really have a great definition. Stability is related to the movement of air over and under the disc and the rotation of the disc. That being said, spin will generally stabilize a disc and speed will destabilize (flip) it.

Someone with no snap or speed won't be able to flip anything, while someone with huge snap and velocity will be able to flip everything.

More specifically, regarding spin and stabilization, more spin makes a disc more resistant to rotation other than on the axis it is spinning on. So, yes it will make discs more stable in the sense of lessening the tendency of a disc to flip. But at the same time, it is going to lessen the tendency of a disc to fade as well. In essence, it makes the disc straighter when thrown straight. Anhyzers will hold their angle longer and hyzers will hold their angle longer (meaning more lateral movement of the disc as opposed to fading downwards).

This also means that discs rotate slower when they do move, whether it be flipping over or fading. This allows players to throw a disc straight for a majority of the flight, and then finish with a sort of backwards fade as the disc turns very late.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby SirRaph » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:01 am

You're both wrong. :D
R4PR2S3NT
SirRaph
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Destroyer

Postby kern9787 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:41 am

To add to this as well, I remember something we tried in my high school physics class. We had a bicycle tire on an axle with handles on either side. Basically, you would spin the tire and try to move it around. If you tried to rotate the tire perpendicular to the axis it was spinning on, it would resist the moving. The faster the spin, the more it resisted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_momentum
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Technique