Fingers and forearm are sore...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:03 pm

I got to throw drivers consistently yesterday for the first time this winter and I'm feeling it. I'm not sure if these areas are the ones that are "supposed" to be sore...specifically my middle and ring fingers. Also, half of my forearm from my wrist going towards the bicep. I was thinking that it would be my index and middle fingers that would/should feel this way. Also, I feel my lower abs on both sides as well as my obliques and lower back. Anybody have any input on this? I feel like my body is sore where it should be, but I was really thinking that different fingers should feel sore. The tips of my ring and middle finger were feeling tingly yesterday after the round as well.

I have no idea how far I was throwing, but I was making shots that I could NOT last year. This was on snowy tee pads and not the most conducive conditions for max potential, so it'll be cool to see what happens this year.

I'm looking at the soreness as a troubleshooting method at this point as it is easy to see what parts of my body I’m using. I'm hoping our collective community will provide some insight so I can work out the issues and be ready for prime time this summer.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage
User avatar
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: North Alabama
Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby JR » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:28 pm

Tingly often means very bad disc drag. The disc is sliding on the fingers which is bad. The profile of the disc should force the fingers apart so far and be moving fast enough to not allow the fingers to regain contact with the plastic. Usually called rip. Instead of some type of slip probably. Almost all my drives are slips that fly toward the target. I rarely get slips left unless it's cold and the disc is wet. That was a huge issue a couple of years back. I share muscle pains in the torso plus upper back from my first session this year. Plenty more coming i'm going to the Dutch Open.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11425
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby fanter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:39 pm

JR wrote:Tingly often means very bad disc drag. The disc is sliding on the fingers which is bad. The profile of the disc should force the fingers apart so far and be moving fast enough to not allow the fingers to regain contact with the plastic.


Not to thread jack, but maybe this will be important information for more people than myself.

I have a callous (recently ripped it in a rainy 3-round tourney) that extends from the side of the outermost knuckle of my index (the point opposite my thumb when I grip) to about halfway along the digit and towards the middle. From what you've described, maybe this isn't a good thing. Any wisdom for me?
fanter
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:38 pm
Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby Star Shark » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:26 pm

I have the same callous. I can tell when it's sore that I've been ripping them well.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1463
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:27 am
Location: Studio City, CA
Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:47 pm

Star Shark wrote:I have the same callous. I can tell when it's sore that I've been ripping them well.


That is what I thought as well, my finger tips feel that way AND they're tired from the joints to the muscles.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage
User avatar
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: North Alabama
Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:40 am

JR wrote:Tingly often means very bad disc drag. The disc is sliding on the fingers which is bad. The profile of the disc should force the fingers apart so far and be moving fast enough to not allow the fingers to regain contact with the plastic. Usually called rip. Instead of some type of slip probably. Almost all my drives are slips that fly toward the target. I rarely get slips left unless it's cold and the disc is wet. That was a huge issue a couple of years back. I share muscle pains in the torso plus upper back from my first session this year. Plenty more coming i'm going to the Dutch Open.


I'd love to be at this tourney, maybe some day...
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage
User avatar
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: North Alabama
Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:40 am

JR wrote:Tingly often means very bad disc drag. The disc is sliding on the fingers which is bad. The profile of the disc should force the fingers apart so far and be moving fast enough to not allow the fingers to regain contact with the plastic. Usually called rip. Instead of some type of slip probably. Almost all my drives are slips that fly toward the target. I rarely get slips left unless it's cold and the disc is wet. That was a huge issue a couple of years back. I share muscle pains in the torso plus upper back from my first session this year. Plenty more coming i'm going to the Dutch Open.


I'd love to be at this tourney, maybe some day...
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage
User avatar
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: North Alabama
Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby JR » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:32 am

fanter wrote:
JR wrote:Tingly often means very bad disc drag. The disc is sliding on the fingers which is bad. The profile of the disc should force the fingers apart so far and be moving fast enough to not allow the fingers to regain contact with the plastic.


Not to thread jack, but maybe this will be important information for more people than myself.

I have a callous (recently ripped it in a rainy 3-round tourney) that extends from the side of the outermost knuckle of my index (the point opposite my thumb when I grip) to about halfway along the digit and towards the middle. From what you've described, maybe this isn't a good thing. Any wisdom for me?


Diagnosis tools: Do you get the elbow well forward of the rest of the arm at the right pec position? Do you pull the disc close to the body? Do you accelerate late and hard? A no answer to any of these might be a problem cause. Also too tight a grip initially with the pinky, ring finger and middle finger might be bad. Feldy advises 70 % of the grip power to come from the palm and the rest from the fingers. My interpretation is that he means initially and later on once the disc leaves the palm you clamp the index finger and the thumb hard.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11425
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:13 am

I made some changes recently and I'm starting to get a more solid hit and now my middle finger is suffering. It is raw and hurts and I'm not sure how to change this as I should be ripping from my index finger. I feel like I'm getting real good power at the hit, but I'm losing out on spin and distance because I'm pivoting off the wrong finger.

I think I might have to go back and read to see what I'm missing. I use the standard power grip that Feldberg talks about, but it doesn't seem to be working as intended. The other thing that I've noticed on my grip is that my thumb pad is well forward of where my index finger curls under the rim. I feel like I'm on the verge of breakthrough on distance...all I need to do is get my grip and release correct.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage
User avatar
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: North Alabama
Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby JR » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:41 am

IIRC J-La has written on another board that his rips come from the middle finger and he throws 500' line drives. And he really does work out a lot.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11425
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Maybe I'll have to find a way for this to work for me then. It seemed after yesterday's field work that my middle finger didn't feel it as much. I felt like was consciously trying to think about it ripping from my index finger. It is almost like I spread the rip/hit feeling between the two fingers. I’m not sure what distance I was getting for sure, but it was longer on average than it has been.

I’m actually going to go out and buy a GPS today so I can get exacting measurements. If I were to guess on some of those distances, I would say a lot of them were in the 420s and a couple as far as 450ish. I’m REALLY digging the ESP Nuke, Pro Boss, and ES-Wraith for D discs (all around 169-170). I’ve been stuck on that 390ish plateau since last summer and did some form cleanup over the winter…it seems like it has paid off. I know that I have a lot of work left to do as there were things that I noticed when I got a REALLY good feel for the hit. I’m at that point of trying to figure out how to make it stronger and really pound that hammer.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage
User avatar
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: North Alabama
Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby Star Shark » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:23 pm

Let me clarify. While I have the same callous, it's JUST the callous that's sore, not the whole finger or joints.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1463
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:27 am
Location: Studio City, CA
Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby inthedrift » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:53 pm

JR wrote:IIRC J-La has written on another board that his rips come from the middle finger and he throws 500' line drives. And he really does work out a lot.


Who's J-La?

Sean40474 wrote:Maybe I'll have to find a way for this to work for me then. It seemed after yesterday's field work that my middle finger didn't feel it as much. I felt like was consciously trying to think about it ripping from my index finger. It is almost like I spread the rip/hit feeling between the two fingers. I’m not sure what distance I was getting for sure, but it was longer on average than it has been.

I’m actually going to go out and buy a GPS today so I can get exacting measurements. If I were to guess on some of those distances, I would say a lot of them were in the 420s and a couple as far as 450ish. I’m REALLY digging the ESP Nuke, Pro Boss, and ES-Wraith for D discs (all around 169-170). I’ve been stuck on that 390ish plateau since last summer and did some form cleanup over the winter…it seems like it has paid off. I know that I have a lot of work left to do as there were things that I noticed when I got a REALLY good feel for the hit. I’m at that point of trying to figure out how to make it stronger and really pound that hammer.


Go buy that GPS so we can get out and huk some big (measured) shots! You're definitely topping 400' now Sean. Hope to be right there with you soon...had some great throws a few nights back just trying to concentrate on getting the disc in tight to the right pec.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:42 am
Location: Anchorage, AK
Favorite Disc: Firebird

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:54 pm

I'm not having any joint soreness, just the muscles from griping and the abrasion near my fingertips. I'm sure that'll change when I get a callous on them.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage
User avatar
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: North Alabama
Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby JR » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:39 pm

inthedrift wrote:
JR wrote:IIRC J-La has written on another board that his rips come from the middle finger and he throws 500' line drives. And he really does work out a lot.


Who's J-La?

Sean40474 wrote:Maybe I'll have to find a way for this to work for me then. It seemed after yesterday's field work that my middle finger didn't feel it as much. I felt like was consciously trying to think about it ripping from my index finger. It is almost like I spread the rip/hit feeling between the two fingers. I’m not sure what distance I was getting for sure, but it was longer on average than it has been.

I’m actually going to go out and buy a GPS today so I can get exacting measurements. If I were to guess on some of those distances, I would say a lot of them were in the 420s and a couple as far as 450ish. I’m REALLY digging the ESP Nuke, Pro Boss, and ES-Wraith for D discs (all around 169-170). I’ve been stuck on that 390ish plateau since last summer and did some form cleanup over the winter…it seems like it has paid off. I know that I have a lot of work left to do as there were things that I noticed when I got a REALLY good feel for the hit. I’m at that point of trying to figure out how to make it stronger and really pound that hammer.


Go buy that GPS so we can get out and huk some big (measured) shots! You're definitely topping 400' now Sean. Hope to be right there with you soon...had some great throws a few nights back just trying to concentrate on getting the disc in tight to the right pec.


He's new on this board but has played for 10 years in my home town. He's been a big wig in Finnish disc golf scene in an official capacity and he certainly qualifies for the i throw faaaaaar distinction. You can see him in action here he's the second thrower in the vid: http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/40/UCp580eu5jU
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11425
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to Technique

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest