Fingers and forearm are sore...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Fingers and forearm are sore...

Postby Sean40474 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:50 am

I managed to take some skin off my middle finger yesterday trying to throw my arm out. Also, my index finger is starting to hurt at the tip. I'll either need to tape up or take a break.

For those that use tape, what kind do you use and do you find that it effects your distance/feel/accuracy at all?
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Sean40474 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:24 am

Another thing I realized today is that my neck and traps are a little sore. I'm not sure if I ever remember that part of my body being sore practicing distance throws. It has always been my pec, biceps, shoulders, and sometimes my lats.

Am I using the correct muscles or is this another sign of not throwing correctly?

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby JR » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:08 am

Sports tape. Sports stores and drug stores should carry that. A local player says he doesn't feel the tape. I do and dislike it and i sweat so much that it comes off anyway. I don't like to tape up two three times a round. So i don't at all now that my finger is better. It got hurt last year from too much pinch practice.

Muscles should give you feedback after throwing but i don't know if specific muscles being sore tells much.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:14 am

Sean40474 wrote:I managed to take some skin off my middle finger yesterday trying to throw my arm out. Also, my index finger is starting to hurt at the tip. I'll either need to tape up or take a break.

For those that use tape, what kind do you use and do you find that it effects your distance/feel/accuracy at all?

Darn near any kind of tape will work (I have seen duct tape used) to protect from abrasion. The question is the break in period. With some kinds of tape you need to throw a bunch of shots until the tape breaks in and gives you the grip you want. There is a type of tape called PAPER TAPE, which (imo) is superior since it feels natural when you put it on and you can play with it immediately without loss of control or power. You can buy paper tape in any drug store, in the area where bandages are shelved.

I tape my finger every time I play to prevent a callus from forming (then building up until it eventually tears off, leaving a bloody gash). Dr. Rick Voakes taught me this trick. In very wet conditions I may retape during the round (as even tape will absorb water and become slippery eventually) and I don't want to deal with a break in period during a round.

Paper tape is very thin and flexible. I wrap several layers of it around the spot on my middle finger where my callus used to form. As with all changes it will take a little practice with until it feels normal.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Sean40474 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks for the input JR and Mark, I appreciate the insight and experience. I'll check this out and see how it fairs for me as I don't want a bloody mess on my hands....no pun intended :lol:

I have a lot of that paper tape left over from my surgery last year, so now I have an use for it. I can't believe how much that tape is at Walgreens, what is up with 3M trying to take folks to the bank?

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby JR » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:44 am

The paper tapes i've bought from local pharmacies unglue even faster than fabric based sports tape. But hospital given paper tape stick well and is thin. I think i might have to get some to try because i'm out of the hospital stuff. Thankfully.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Technique