Stopping the Wrist - Is there a Drill for That?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Stopping the Wrist - Is there a Drill for That?

Postby jenb » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:37 pm

I think I figured out today that my problems with putters and rocs flipping when I drive them using the "super secret squirrel technique" has been not stopping my wrist during the snap once it straightens out. Does that make sense? Would failing to stop the wrist result in flip, oat, and flutter?

Once I started concentrating on trying to stop the wrist instead of letting it flop on through I got a couple of really long drives with Aviar and Roc. I think the Roc even went out to 275 or so, though it's tough to be sure. But it was hard to duplicate consistently.

What's the best way to learn to consistently stop the wrist? Is it about timing gripping hard during the snap? Should I be practicing gripping hard in time with one of the snap drills? If so, which one?
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Re: Stopping the Wrist - Is there a Drill for That?

Postby Blake_T » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:25 pm

the wrist isn't supposed to stop after it straightens. that is the half-hit method. the full hit method requires your wrist to go slightly beyond straight. this is how the bulk of the speed/force is applied to the disc and yields greater accuracy.

the flip/oat/flutter is more likely caused by a mixture of three things (probably 1 or 2 of them being more prominent than the other).
1. deviating shoulder plane during the throw
2. your wrist extending not until well after the point where it "should have." this is a timing issue.
3. having forearm pronation/supination when your wrist extends. this one is due to the disc orientation in your hand with your grip.

out of these, #2 has a great affect on whether or not #3 happens. #1 just happens for most players.

the top one = good.
the bottom one = the most likely thing that is happening with #2.

based upon your description i'd guess that's your culprit.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Blake_T » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:26 pm

my drawing tablet i got last year really helps out with my illustrations. i still suck at drawing but it only takes 90 seconds instead of 8 minutes to scrawl out some kindergarten poo
Blake_T

Postby ManU » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:44 am

I do like your use of the umlaut Blake

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Postby JR » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks Blake how about a similar top down picture showing all the positions of the joints where on needs to begin clamping the finger pinch with the index finger and the thumb?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Blake_T » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:19 pm

JR: two reasons. 1. i think that is more a feel-based time rather than a position. people are much better off trying to feel the inertia rather than trying to pinpoint a snapshot of it.

2. i suck at drawing.
Blake_T

Postby Lithicon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:24 pm

Lulz at that drawing. I knew Blake was a fantastic artist just waiting to get out.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby jenb » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 am

I was wathching a video at the PDGA website of pros playing and noticed that all these guys have the same or similar preshot routine, where they extend the arm out and move it around. I started trying it and found it helped me pin point where the tendon bounce and release are going to occur, which seemed to allow me to get timing synched up and aim better, especially for hitting lines through tight fairways.
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Return to Technique