Timings Definition

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Timings Definition

Postby Iman522 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:19 pm

So in the quest to throw FAARRR I decided to rework my throw. Before I was throwing about 360-370 with fairway type drivers and about 390 with flows and pd’s. However, now I am only getting about 330. My timing is really messed up and so it made me wonder, what exactly is good timing? You always here Blake talking about timing triumphs all but what exactly is it? Is it getting the all of the body positions and movement together at the right time (including gripping the disc)? Or is it something like what allows the most power to be exerted into the proper moment of the throw?

I figure that if timing triumphs all I should go do right pec drills and hammer pounds until I am confident and for sure my timing is right. From there I will try all the snap things I can find. This would all be so much easier if there was a local pro within 2hrs that could help me! :(
Iman522
Noob

Re: Timings Definition

Postby Lithicon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:01 pm

Lol, timing is all of that I guess you could say. It's getting everything in the right position, at the right time. To have the most effective use of the power being exerted... This is why it's hard to explain timing, because it's everything. And, you know it when you feel it. It can be broad, or as detailed as a split second. But, everything in a throw has a correct time it should happen for everyone, the problem is that most people focus on timing through out the entire throw. Which the last 12 inches of it are where timing is the most important. The timing in the first part ultimately just sets you up better for the end if done correctly. Hence, why it's called timing? Heh, it's kind of difficult to explain.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby Iman522 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Yeah I kinda figured it would be difficult to explain but I figured I'd see if anyone could make a go at it. It can just be hard to work towards something you don't have a clue about what your working towards.
Iman522
Noob

Postby Parks » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:17 am

Timing is what sets up the next part of the throw.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:31 am

I think that is the idea behind working from the the back. There are other reasons for it but you know for sure where the disc leaves your fingers. If you are not happy about where it is you'll need to find out how to change the hit position. From there things get more complicated. Because there are plenty of possibilities of what's causing what you do now and you may well not know what you need to change to get where you want to. Provided you even know that.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Lithicon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:19 pm

I agree with JR. This is why Blake stresses working from the Hit back. If you get that, and know where that's at. Then everything generally will work it's self out. Because once you get the hit, and doing it from a stand still, you know where it's at. Then you can keep that part and work in one step, two steps, etc etc.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:12 pm

When the snow melts and I can get into the field I'm going to work on my throw this way. I think I've been doing stuff all wrong or taking the scenic route.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Return to Technique