Sidearm: Straight or Bent Finger(s) on grip?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Sidearm: Straight or Bent Finger(s) on grip?

Postby BrohanSolo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Just wondering if anyone has ever thrown both and noted a difference when throwing forehand with the two different grips. I've heard different things from some local players, but with mixed results.
Athletes Train Movements, Not Muscles; you have to carry the engine.
BrohanSolo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Force

Re: Sidearm: Straight or Bent Finger(s) on grip?

Postby Steady 26542 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:41 pm

Mark Ellis is a far better forehand thrower than I. For me, I get a smoother release when I kept my middle pad on the inside rim and overlap my first finger on top of it.

It's called the Sidearm Power Stack. You can see a picture or it here: http://quadcitydiscgolf.com/Grips.html
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby Smigles » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:30 am

I'd go with Avery Jenkins grip. Both index and middle finger on the rim, bent fingers. Best pic that google gave me :

Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:40 am

Smigles wrote:I'd go with Avery Jenkins grip. Both index and middle finger on the rim, bent fingers. Best pic that google gave me :

I tried that grip but I just couldn't get the disc to come out smoothly so I lost some D. It was comfortable though.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Steady 26542 wrote:Mark Ellis is a far better forehand thrower than I. For me, I get a smoother release when I kept my middle pad on the inside rim and overlap my first finger on top of it.

It's called the Sidearm Power Stack. You can see a picture or it here: http://quadcitydiscgolf.com/Grips.html

That is the same grip I use when I throw, but I feel like there is more distance potential with the grip Avery uses.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby BrohanSolo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:35 pm

I've been using the power stack for about a year now and I'm getting great distance out of it. I'm just wondering what the difference in flight paths would be for the power stack vs. Avery grip...
I feel like the power stack would generate more torque on the disc, but I would also imagine that the grip Avery uses is more accurate.

Thoughts/Experiences?
BrohanSolo
Noob

Postby Star Shark » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:50 pm

I've tried both and I didn't see a change in diff at all. It took me a few dozen throws to iron out the power stack grip because I was getting lots of nose up and wobble at release. Once I smoothed that out, there was no difference between that and the standard sidearm grip. Take this with a grain of salt as my sidearm distance isn't good to begin with. 200-240 on avg with the occasional crush out to 280
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:47 pm

Well, I thought the grip called the Forehand Power Stack Grip here (although I never heard that term before this thread) was superior until I saw Geoff Bennett's grip, which is much more curled than Avery's. Imagine both the index and middle finger curled tightly into the rim and (weirdest of all) the thumb on the top of the flight plate pointing to the center of the disc. If I tried to use this grip on a fork I would stab myself in the face on every bite. Then again, I am not all that coordinated. Bennett uses this grip to put forehands into orbit and to feather them down tight little lines. It is hard to argue with success.

The Avery or the Geoff grip have the advantage of better friction (tighter grip) in bad conditions. When both my hand and my disc are wet or frozen, I reluctantly go to an Avery-type grip. I lose both distance and accuracy this way but sometimes it is better than my backhand option (which is to say pretty darn pitiful).

Grip is very much an individual thing. We all have different hands: size, strength and comfort levels. So long as you can grip a disc very tightly and control it then it is a good grip.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby dejavu22 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:10 pm

I play almost exclusively sidearm but i put both fingers straight in the sidearm power stack but i also add one more finger to it. I have the same grip except instead of tucking the ring finger i have it straight as well but on the outside of the rim (feel like this gives me better control).

But with this grip i have been driving about 320-400 on average depending on the disk.
dejavu22
Noob

Favorite Disc: 174 flick

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:58 am

http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/daves-t ... -tips.html

Pictures of the same two there, Dave called it the "Sidearm Power Stack" as well but I, like Mr. Ellis, had never actually heard it called that before I don't think. But not sure what I have heard it called other than just a standard side arm grip.

I am one of those weird few who no matter what I do to my BH throw I easily throw FH much farther with little to no effort. I get a tremendous amount of snap using the Power Stack with just a flick of my wrist. My years of playing baseball (3rd base) may have a bit to do with that.

The grip Avery uses doesn't get as much snap for me, but he seems to use it a lot. The picture you guys gave is from his website where he describes both of these grips (he uses one for mids/putters and one for distance drivers) and gives his explaination of why he uses them.

http://www.averyjenkins7495.com/2009/06 ... olf-grips/

Also as a side note, if you've ever watched Avery throw sidearm, he does this arm swing before he throws. To me it looked very goofy but I tried it out and found it gave me a better rhythm on my forehands and got a much crisper snap using it.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby JR » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:08 am

If you do that swing Avery does with a weight in your hand you'll notice how much energy that swing creates. I throw farther with that swing.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:45 am

if you do the sidearm (and overhand) hammer drills and experiment with each type of grip you'll quickly find which one is strongest for you.

for most people this is a bent finger grip.

the actual release of the disc coming out "clean" or not is far more dependent upon properly shifting the disc's weight leading into the flick than anything else.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby BrohanSolo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:14 am

Hammer Drills...? I've seen you guys talk about it, but not quite sure what that is. Notice the Noob under my name lol. Can someone elaborate?
BrohanSolo
Noob

Postby BrohanSolo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:44 am

Maybe I should clarify, I know WHAT they are, but I dont know what I am looking for when I do them.
BrohanSolo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:40 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19220

if you do them (starting with the fake grip and then working on the applicable ones with your sidearm grip) you will feel which grip yields the strongest pound. i'd recommend experimenting a bit with different sidearm grips, making sure that you properly shift the disc's weight when you do them.

the strongest pound = the strongest sidearm grip for you.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Next

Return to Technique