I Need Help Getting More Snap (Videos)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

I Need Help Getting More Snap (Videos)

Postby SirRaph » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:34 pm

I've been playing for a couple years now. I putt well, my approach game is solid, but I'm sick of maxing at 350'-400'. So I've been doing some field work trying to get some more power to my game. I'm not getting the returns I'm hoping for, and I'm hoping Beato and you guys can help me. I'm not looking to compete in long drive competitions. I want to be able to attack 450' holes.

I've been throwing mostly Buzzzes, 3-5 Wizards and a couple beat Predators to finish the set.

I've worked on the pec drill some, and feel pretty good about the results. I'm throwing (from the Pec Drill) Buzzzes out to 250' with consistency. I've worked some on the hammer drill, and feel like I understand what it's trying to teach me. I'm focusing on the hit, late acceleration, trying to throw the other side of the disc, etc. I can sometimes feel the disc pivoting out of my hand, and I frequently get the snapping sound, both seem to add 20' to the throw or so, but I've still never really thrown one the way I know they can be thrown.

Current Reliably Consistent D (we have distance markers on the driving range at my home course):
250' with Wizards
300-315' Buzzzes
320'-350 Teebirds, Leopards, Avengers, Destroyers, Surges, Forces...

So here are the videos. Both throws are Z Buzzzes, both straight out to 300' or a few feet more. I'm not trying to lace them. This is a controlled shot for me, but still trying to snap it.

Throw 1 Normal Speed
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff265/DavidLPettigrew/?action=view&current=ThrowNormalSpeed1.mp4

Throw 1 Slow Motion
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff265/DavidLPettigrew/?action=view&current=ThrowSlowMo1.mp4

Throw 2 Slow Motion
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff265/DavidLPettigrew/?action=view&current=ThrowSlowMo2.mp4

I seriously appreciate any help you can give me. And if any cannon arms want to come out to Chattanooga to teach me, I'd be happy to pay them!
R4PR2S3NT
SirRaph
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Destroyer

Re: I Need Help Getting More Snap (Videos)

Postby JR » Sun May 01, 2011 12:54 am

Which form do you use normally and which goes farther for you? Or is there any difference. I think you could try way later acceleration too. To me it seems your arm pull starts a little before the left pec. You do get acceleration to the right pec and then the rate of acceleration goes down.

For the speed you have your plant step is too long. If you stop kicking the right leg forward in the plant step that will help.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby SirRaph » Mon May 02, 2011 7:10 am

Which form do I use normally? I'm not sure I know what you mean.

I'll work on later acceleration and slowing down my footwork. Thanks!
R4PR2S3NT
SirRaph
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Destroyer

Postby JR » Tue May 03, 2011 12:35 am

Your first throw is what i'd call approach form and the second one distance drive. Golf distance at that so with practice that should get accurate enough to put almost 100% in (this form has less than 100% available -full power needs even more turning back from the target) and stay on the fairway on wide holes. I differentiate these throws to different categories because you have very dissimilar reach backs. In the first throw you don't turn that much away from the target which gives less power and more controllability. The second throw feet angles away from the target in the x step, back turning more degrees away from the target and arm reaching back way farther give seriously more D if you have the control and time the arm pull acceleration point and rate optimally according to your nerve/muscle speed and strength limits.

With the second shot you're moving so much faster that it is not easy to get eyes focussd on the target to help with visual aiming. That loses you accuracy and repeatability. Scott Stokely recommends using the form of first shot for control. Climo adds keeping the eyes on the target as long as possible although golfers and Feldy recommend against this from power generation and the weight of the head jerking around perspective and Feldy doesn't aim visually so pick you poison. Stokely recommends using a different form for distance and it's your ability to pull of accuracy with distance repeatably that determines if your second throw form is the max you can do or if you could reach back even farther for more D at the cost of repeatability at least.

Using different forms and manipulating flight even more with in between smaller variations works for me. That is the best of both worlds approach as often as possible minimizing the drawbacks. There is no point in losing repeatability and accuracy in tight places that are short enough for control form. And there are sometimes benefits to throwing far enough to have a chance of a putt with reduced repeatability if you have no chance of getting to the green with control form and if the fairway is easy so there is no risk but there is a possible reward.

So i ask again which form do you use for which shot or do you use different styles consciously? If you don't i'd slow down for a while and use the control form until that gets more pure and then incrementally add more speed and if that doesn't degrade accuracy and form then it is a great time to add more reach back for distance training. That means that accuracy is better than D. If you believe that. Score wise it usually is on golf courses unless they are all open long holes. And the real reasons why you'll see score changes are the form improvements and drop in the rate of mistakes at slower speeds.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique