Sidearm X-Step

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Sidearm X-Step

Postby BrohanSolo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:08 pm

So I've always been a sidearm driver and was fiddling with my form and came up with a sidearm cross step much like backhand throwers do. I haven't been able to field test it (with storms and such), so I figured I'd turn to the hub of disc golf knowledge; DGR. Once I'm able to get out I'll post vids. Anyone have experience with this?
Athletes Train Movements, Not Muscles; you have to carry the engine.
BrohanSolo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Force

Re: Sidearm X-Step

Postby Booter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Listening ...as my sidearm sucks for anything longer than 200
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:19 pm

BrohanSolo wrote:So I've always been a sidearm driver and was fiddling with my form and came up with a sidearm cross step much like backhand throwers do. I haven't been able to field test it (with storms and such), so I figured I'd turn to the hub of disc golf knowledge; DGR. Once I'm able to get out I'll post vids. Anyone have experience with this?

A forehand X-step (or cross step or whatever you want to call it) is basically the mirror image of a backhand X-step and useful in the same ways. While there are some golfers who do a stand-and-deliver form or a shuffle form, most of us learn and use an X-step for any shots beyond short range (both backhand and forehand).

An X-step not only gives more power to a shot, it also is much easier on your arm and shoulder since your whole body is involved in the throw. As with all shots there is a learning curve to adding an X-step to your game. It comes easily and naturally to most players while others never seem to master it.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JR » Sun May 01, 2011 12:34 am

There is a difference between full x step and shuffle step that does not cross the rear leg to the left of the left leg for RHFH. A full x step requires a lot of mobility from the hip joint of the right side and it absolutely must be well warmed up before doing x step at any power. Or you risk damage to yourself. If you leave the right leg to the right of the left leg it's easier to push farther in the follow through and with my limited experience (bum ankle so i don't really run on FH) the snap is way better this way. I tend to get all knotted up in the muscles if i bring the right leg left of the left leg. That may also be excess fat and inexperience and possibly stiffness on top of lack of body control. YMMV.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BrohanSolo » Sun May 01, 2011 6:24 am

I hold my disc when in sidearm form differently; arm straight down with my wrist bent so that my palm is facing the sky. It doesn't require as much arm movement and helps "control" the drive more when cross stepping. It also helps if you do a little jump at the end, like carrying your throw through with a little hop/jump. I've found that functionally this helps with not grounding out the disc and keeping it a loft for longer. Mark you probably have more experience with sidearm, once I get the vid up I would love some constructive criticism.
BrohanSolo
Noob

Postby dejavu22 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:10 pm

1 and 2 are just normal steps 3 i cross my left foot over and put it pretty much parallel with my right foot. With step 4 i cross behind the left foot and the right foot points 45 degrees past horizontal. Then with step 5 i step across my backwards right foot with my left and point my left foot straight at the target while at the same time i pivot and push off with my right foot leaving slightly to the right and slightly behind my left foot and pointing about 45 degrees away from the target.

Not sure if that makes any sense but i tried my best to explain it.
dejavu22
Noob

Favorite Disc: 174 flick

Postby BrohanSolo » Sun May 01, 2011 9:33 pm

That is almost exactly what I was thinking, except I start with my left hip pointing towards the hole... Nice drawing by the way haha
BrohanSolo
Noob

Postby JR » Sun May 01, 2011 9:39 pm

The best sidearm thrower in the world does not need to reach back farther than pointing the line between shoulders where he's throwing to. That's why he doesn't need to make a full x step and he leaves the right leg to the right of the left leg with each step.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby kern9787 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:47 pm

JR wrote:The best sidearm thrower in the world does not need to reach back farther than pointing the line between shoulders where he's throwing to. That's why he doesn't need to make a full x step and he leaves the right leg to the right of the left leg with each step.

Who is this?
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby dejavu22 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Yea i know i am an artist...

Yea i don't turn my body to the right until about my third step when i turn almost completely sideways with my feet 45 degrees to the target. But with this cross step i get pretty good and fairly consistent distance. The only problem is that with the concrete boxes the pivot is really tearing up the shoes i play in. Playing 1 or 2 days a week prolly 36 holes at a time a pair of shoes i bought in jan are already showing significant damage. Probably shaved off 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch of tread of the toe corner of the right hand shoe and the left shoe looks hardly broken in.
dejavu22
Noob

Favorite Disc: 174 flick

Postby JR » Sun May 01, 2011 11:35 pm

kern9787 wrote:
JR wrote:The best sidearm thrower in the world does not need to reach back farther than pointing the line between shoulders where he's throwing to. That's why he doesn't need to make a full x step and he leaves the right leg to the right of the left leg with each step.

Who is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKmIDg_9G_g at 1:01 European and Finnish champion Ville Piippo. His rating ain't hot now that he's been multiply injured for two years.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BrohanSolo » Mon May 02, 2011 6:28 am

you actually don't even need to x step to get the extra rotation that you need. At least with my sidearm, standing with your left hip/shoulder pointing towards the pin with the disc held low (right mid thigh to right hip), you can actually lower your shoulders and do a slight squat (most if not all of your weight on your back leg) and get a good amount of power boost.
BrohanSolo
Noob

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:42 pm

JR wrote:
kern9787 wrote:

Who is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKmIDg_9G_g at 1:01 European and Finnish champion Ville Piippo. His rating ain't hot now that he's been multiply injured for two years.

I love watching Ville. I heard he was hurt. Is his injury coming along ok? I hope he is doing well.

Jeff Bennett can put them out there as well.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby JR » Mon May 02, 2011 11:40 pm

Steady 26542 wrote:
JR wrote:
kern9787 wrote:

Who is this?

I love watching Ville. I heard he was hurt. Is his injury coming along ok? I hope he is doing well.

Jeff Bennett can put them out there as well.

Geoff might have been hurt or intimidated when Ville and Geoff played in the same group at USDGC some years back. I heard from Chris Wojchiehowski that it was the worst round Geoff had played in two years. Ville wasn't impressed.

I filmed Ville and the group he was playing in for a round at The Dutch Open2011 and his sidearm is dangerous again. Off the top of my head i can't recall any tommies from him and his prediction before the competition proved right. In his own words he's need a miracle recovery to heal in such a short space of time. That showed up in putting the most. He actually used horseshoe putting for best results. Nothing else was going even remotely his way. That's why he wasn't able to charge as he should have based on his good sidearm drives. It's good that at least those haven't deserted him. I'm not sure how far he can put those now but to 360' 9' uphill he was a foot off an ace at basket height.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BrohanSolo » Thu May 05, 2011 8:58 pm

For me doing the X step isn't about getting more distance, it's about getting the S out of it so it doesn't crash out. 3 steps instead of a run up and I am SO much happier with my distance and line.
BrohanSolo
Noob

Next

Return to Technique