Sidearm X-Step

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Sidearm X-Step

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:42 pm

I don't think an X Step would help a forehand...maybe a shuffle step for timing, but I don't see where that would add any power to a forehand. I could be wrong though.

...And Big Jerm has the best forehand
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby BrohanSolo » Fri May 06, 2011 6:37 am

Just like with anything disc golf, what works for some doesn't work for others. For me I love it, but everyone throws different so who knows!
Athletes Train Movements, Not Muscles; you have to carry the engine.
BrohanSolo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Force

Postby JR » Fri May 06, 2011 12:00 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:I don't think an X Step would help a forehand...maybe a shuffle step for timing, but I don't see where that would add any power to a forehand. I could be wrong though.

...And Big Jerm has the best forehand

Not knowing exactly where Ville is at it might be true for the moment or not. Two factors add power if you do an x step for FH. Linear back to front running speed comes from x steps and shuffle steps. X step allows you to turn your side to the target and use the line between the shoulders as an aiming mechanics along with reaching back farther for a longer acceleration distance for the arm swing. That means more exit speed. I haven't heard of any measurements on this for FH but if it is a mirror image, as it should be, of BH physics that has been done and measured to be statistically significant factor in increasing throwing distance with a confidence level of 95 %. Öystein Carlsen made a thesis of this and measured among others a 600' TB thrower. I'm told that the thesis ain't where it was but i translated the important bits in a thread called i read a nice thesis about long throws.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Star Shark » Fri May 06, 2011 3:15 pm

There's lots of great forehands out there. Piipo, Koling, Geoff Bennett, Stokely, Stanhope.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby JR » Sat May 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Star Shark wrote:There's lots of great forehands out there. Piipo, Koling, Geoff Bennett, Stokely, Stanhope.

Jenkins too but Scott Stokely is effectively retired. And that's Piippo.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Technique