Interesting Pull through

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Interesting Pull through

Postby Sean40474 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:05 am

Check out the pull through between 2:08 and 2:12 on this vid. What is that all about? I thought I've seen video of Schusterick pulling his at the start perpendicular to the ground as well. It almost seems like they're setting up for a anny or something.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Re: Interesting Pull through

Postby roman » Mon May 02, 2011 12:32 pm

I think it's just a matter of what you're used to. I did the same exact thing years ago on my drives, and I didn't even notice I was doing that until someone took a picture at the exact moment my disc was dipping down like that. My first reaction was "How did that disc ever end up going forward?". I stopped doing it after seeing that picture just because it bothered me, but my throws didn't change.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby rusch_bag » Mon May 02, 2011 12:33 pm

It's all about style and being a non conformist.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Sean40474 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm

So this has nothing to do with with getting the disc to go further or assisting the mechanics of the throw?

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby JR » Tue May 03, 2011 12:14 am

Actually it's nothing about the style and all about the results. The results can vary wildly. I suck ass filled with rocks with that form so i've never really tried to learn it and have less than 100 reps with it. I miss wildly with hyzer angle. And i can see why Dave Greenwel earlier and Joonas Hynönen 2007 Finnish champ do it. Getting the disc near vertical as the disc is pulled across the chest allows the arm to be pulled closer to the chest than with the level pull. The first benefit is from reach back to left side pull where the chance of hitting your left side with the disc is minimized. The real deal is that it is a more extreme version of the same thing promoted all the time in this forum that is getting the elbow to lead the throw and pulling the disc close to the chest. The reasons for that being getting a tighter angle to the elbow angling the elbow chop and wrist motion to be super duper snappy forcing the wrist to fly open like a mofakka.

I'd do it if i could get accuracy and thinking back on imma gonna hafta give this a serious go some time after i've healed up enough to be able to do field practice. This might be the easiest way to learn to hit fully and get the automated wrist opening part right. From there you only need the body control and the timing and pinch strength to get a full hit i presume. Dunno because i'm not that far along that path yet. Joonas is at least 500' thrower judging by what his father said at The Scandinavian Open 2010 but IIRC i've heard he's thrown farther than that.

Even though Chris Voigt promoted reach back far off the body and pulling close to the right pec works for auitomating the first part of the wrist snap my initial impressions with the Greenwell style (dunno who the originator is but Dave is the longest playing guy that i've seen who use this form out of the total of two) is that it gives even faster thus more powerful wrist incidental motion.

I've gained some muscles after i've tried this the last time and i wouldn't wonder if body builders with huge pecs could have flexibility and compression of the right pec muscle troubles pulling this close. Especially if they aren't warmed up and limber. J-La from this board had really bad aches from locking the elbow straight if i interpreted his written description correctly on another board while trying to pull close to the right pec. His form is usually earlier body turn than me earlier with the more standard DGR type straight line pull close to both pecs and he pulls closish not hugging to the left pec and far from the right pec on line drives to 500' according to him. I haven't seen him throw that far.

Miko Fyhr from Finland throws the fastest in Finland according to the eyes of Ville Piippo, i don't know measurements of Mikos speed, but he's thrown measured 191 m IIRC in approximated two meter downhill according to someone. Don't remember who it was that said it was downhill. Tumpsi or Ville perhaps or J-La are my first guesses. J-La has a fairly similar arm pull line and body rotation timing to Miko. They play and train a lot together. Both are beefcakes and throw far and have good forms although different to usually preached here. I have no problems tying together strength and D. I have no troubles linking different forms to throwing far either. What i don't know is which form yields the ultimate D. For me it hasn't been the Feldy style so far. But i may just suck at that. It does give you easy D for the effort with lesser running speed so the efficiency is high. Despite having the opposite amount of elbow bend angle to Greenwell style. I just can't match the speeds of other forms with my bum ankle with Feldy style so i can't compare from experience. Suck. Feldy style for hyzers does bring the disc in close to the body just lower and disc almost vertical like Greenwell style.

If i were you i'd test each style and see for yourself and then drawing conclusions has some basis that is relevant for you. You might just have to switch styles and gain. Isn't that why we train?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 03, 2011 2:17 am

Also visible in Jussi Meresmaa's throw, and he won Big D 2008.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Tue May 03, 2011 3:11 am

Forgot about that he's the third guy in order i've spotted that uses this trick. I hadn't noticed it before i saw that video so thanks for making it.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Lithicon » Tue May 03, 2011 6:10 am

Back when I was throwing 450, I threw like this for the reason's explained by JR earlier. It's quite different, and requires you get your wrist angles down pretty good. Or you'll be throwing wildly. I preferred it because of the pulling closer thing. It really made me keep it close. Also, I do believe I didn't do this as often when Hyzer was the preferred line, as it did seem harder. But, I have a problem with my Hyzer form period. Even more so now, LOL. I'm going back to this style pretty soon myself.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby Sean40474 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:10 am

I don't know if I want to experiment with this throwing style as I'm just starting to get things in line with my form. I'm consistently throwing 420' to 430' and still have a lot more to work out before I'm in the 450' range consistently. I don't want to take two steps backwards now :crazy:

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Booter » Tue May 03, 2011 11:28 am

now that i can see the vids....i think i actually do this too :/ . never noticed because i never video myself throwin,but i do know that at the furthest reach back i tilt the disc like that. im gonna need to video my throws and see if it actually follows through like the guys above.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Lithicon » Tue May 03, 2011 11:42 am

The main things I've noticed with this is that if can cause massive nose up, massive OAT, and massive Anhyzer tend to be the least of your worries. But, they can and will happen, if you don't bring it back onto plane correctly with some good wrist angles, lol. Plus, the Wrist angles alone can generate OAT if you're not careful. It's not something you want to really try if you're use to throwing another way.

I noticed when I started back playing after taking about a 6-8 month little detour, I was using a modified version of this. Probably because I was just really rusty. But, I'd start with the disc sort of out in front of me, and tuck it into the reach back with it vertical like this. Going through the entire Reach back, and as I started back forward before I ever got close to the powerzone, I'd already started to bring it back flat. It's not too much different, but I was timing it slightly different than in these video's. The throws in the video match how I was throwing pretty accurately before I stopped playing. So I contribute this adjustment to me being rusty and coming back into it with no practice.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Booter » Tue May 03, 2011 11:49 am

yea thats y i dont think i follow all the way through with it. i think its just for a short period
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Lithicon » Tue May 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Could be, Booter. I believe I've seen a few people do it the way I was talking about.

I seem to recall there was a "hammer technique" before the new "hammer technique" that I think this accentuated quite nicely. Just getting the feel of the disc' weight, and loading and unloading the wrist, as JR said above. I started doing this sort of on accident, but I'm sure I probably seen it somewhere and started doing it semi un-consciously. But, I believe this is sort of why I started doing it.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Sean40474 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Lithicon wrote:The main things I've noticed with this is that if can cause massive nose up, massive OAT, and massive Anhyzer tend to be the least of your worries. But, they can and will happen, if you don't bring it back onto plane correctly with some good wrist angles, lol. Plus, the Wrist angles alone can generate OAT if you're not careful. It's not something you want to really try if you're use to throwing another way.

I noticed when I started back playing after taking about a 6-8 month little detour, I was using a modified version of this. Probably because I was just really rusty. But, I'd start with the disc sort of out in front of me, and tuck it into the reach back with it vertical like this. Going through the entire Reach back, and as I started back forward before I ever got close to the powerzone, I'd already started to bring it back flat. It's not too much different, but I was timing it slightly different than in these video's. The throws in the video match how I was throwing pretty accurately before I stopped playing. So I contribute this adjustment to me being rusty and coming back into it with no practice.

That is what I was alluding to when I first posted.

I need to do some video editing and find a way to slow things down so I can post on here. I'm curious to see what my inefficiencies are as I'd like to go to the next distance level. My buddy seems to think that I generate enough power to go further than I am, but there is a hitch somewhere that I need help finding.

Any of you suggest software that is free to perform video editing and slowing the vid down?

JR?....Bueller?.....Bueller?

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Lithicon » Tue May 03, 2011 1:11 pm

Form video is best seen in normal speed. It's better to just get a few shots on video at good angles.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Technique