Interesting Pull through

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Interesting Pull through

Postby emiller3 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:18 pm

VirtualDub is a free windows tool for slowing down the video down via frame rate. On the Mac I just step through it in iMovie or QuickTime. But you'll still be limited by your camera's frame rate.

And just so you know, it's really hard to capture the timing issues that are keeping us all from unlocking our distance potential when viewing still frames or slow motion video. If your problem is wrist extension or not pulling tight enough, I guess slow-mo would give you some insight into that. But many problems boil down to timing.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Sean40474 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:36 pm

I'll post the vid when I have some time at home with my camera and see what you all have to say anyway. I'm sure there are other things you guys can point out as well. I've been so busy with work and studying for a test, I haven't had much "me" time to practice and mess with my vids.

Thanks for the input on the vid software, I'll check those out. If my Mac was up and working :( , I'd be using it to edit my vids.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby roman » Tue May 03, 2011 1:46 pm

I don't see how this is going to let you pull closer to the body. I still think it's just a matter of style and what you're used to. If you look at that video, he levels his disc out immediately as he starts his pull, so his pull is still with the flight plate more or less parallel to the ground, as if he never dipped the disc down like that.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zj1002 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:02 pm

I always saw it more as a timing thing. Having the disc turn down at maximum reach back is probably the "go" point for him. Just about every technique I have practiced with my throw/putt is an effort to improve timing/aiming. It may not directly be used by some as a way to get it tighter, but it may have inadvertently developed as the method most capable for the thrower.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby JR » Tue May 03, 2011 3:02 pm

Casio has some cheaper Exilim series cameras that take 120 pictures per second but it ain't enough to see all the timing issues of the wrist snap and the disc pivot. I'd go 600+ FPS minimum. That requires a more expensive model and the resolution is bad and you need lots of light. If you know someone that works or studies at some place that has real high speed cameras (high resolution) perhaps you could arrange something.

I was thinking more along the way i tried to maximize pulling close. When i tried this i started to flatten the disc only after the disc had passed the right pec. Maybe i'm too slow for that other than for hyzers and it ain't the most predictable way to throw with the correct angle. Only practice will tell.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rusch_bag » Tue May 03, 2011 3:21 pm

You are all lame! No one caught the Matt joke reference.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Sean40474 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:22 pm

I don't have those type of resources, so I'll have to make do with what I have and hopefully you all can help me make more sense out of it.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby JR » Tue May 03, 2011 3:44 pm

rusch_bag wrote:You are all lame! No one caught the Matt joke reference.

Or maybe nobody wanted to poke the dead horse carcass even with a stick in fear of what might ooze out.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rusch_bag » Tue May 03, 2011 4:30 pm

I do. I was that kid.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Previous

Return to Technique