Pulling drives to the right

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Pulling drives to the right

Postby Pat » Mon May 02, 2011 6:35 pm

I have a field right by my back yard. There is a tree about 300 feet away that I aim for. On a good day, my putters will land about 30-40 feet short. (all I throw is wizards in my yard to minimize any potential damage from bad shots).

Now on a bad day, like I have been having, the drives will go about the same distance, except just track right. Im not monkeypawing (or so it seems) and I am not coming over top of them. They are going on a nice straight line except for the fact that I am missing my line and discs are going 60-70 right of where they normally land. If I were shooting down a tunnel, I would probably hit the 4th or 5th available on the right side. I am not aiming incorrectly and I can feel that something is wrong with my swing.

Can someone help me out or list some reasons this nonsense is happening?
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Pulling drives to the right

Postby Apothecary » Mon May 02, 2011 6:46 pm

you eating much OATmeal these days?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby Pat » Mon May 02, 2011 7:01 pm

Apothecary wrote:you eating much OATmeal these days?

thats what I thought, but I am throwing the exact same distance, just a lot right of my target.
I would think OAT would cause either longer drives or far shorter.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 02, 2011 7:26 pm

be willing to bet $5 that you're starting your active pull before your right foot hits the ground.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Pat » Mon May 02, 2011 7:28 pm

Blake_T wrote:be willing to bet $5 that you're starting your active pull before your right foot hits the ground.

thanks, ill give it a shot tomorrow.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon May 02, 2011 11:47 pm

Is your reach back to the left of the tee orientation and the release to the right of it? It doesn't help much if the body is moving toward the target if the arm is missing right. I've done this too often although not that much lately. Are you pulling the disc far off the chest with the Blake implied acceleration issues and grip locking? Early acceleration may cause that.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 03, 2011 8:35 am

there are other factors that can lead to a right pull, but the majority of those also lead to distance loss.

an early pull is the only one that gives a significant right pull without power loss. in these cases discs fly "well" but are launched like 30-50 degrees to the right of the line you were aiming for.
Blake_T

Postby Pat » Tue May 03, 2011 6:24 pm

Blake_T wrote:there are other factors that can lead to a right pull, but the majority of those also lead to distance loss.

an early pull is the only one that gives a significant right pull without power loss. in these cases discs fly "well" but are launched like 30-50 degrees to the right of the line you were aiming for.

Blake was right, I guess I was stepping a smidge late with my right foot.
thanks again
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby fanter » Tue May 03, 2011 8:00 pm

I'm very glad I saw this thread. The same thing has been happening to me the past couple days (except pulling to the left). I love this forum.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby aDave » Tue May 03, 2011 8:06 pm

I think I'm suffering from early pull too.
Could it be masked somewhat by hyzer release? Or for that matter, amplified by annies?
I can nail lines with understable plastic flipped to flat, but challenge me to line drive that same tunnel with a putter and I'm hitting a tree every. single. time.
Not OAT I swear! It won't turn and burn, it will just go straight where I throw it which is 15°-20° to the right.
Currently I'm solidly at the 350' plateau FWIW.
aDave
Noob

Favorite Disc: Beat floppy aviar

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Not OAT I swear! It won't turn and burn, it will just go straight where I throw it which is 15°-20° to the right.

it could be an early pull but i have a feeling it's most likely 1 of 2 things:
1 - a wide pull
2 - not getting your weight forward
Blake_T

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 03, 2011 9:16 pm

thanks again

i'm glad it was an easy fix.
Blake_T

Postby mshelton » Wed May 25, 2011 7:38 am

Pat wrote:
Blake_T wrote:there are other factors that can lead to a right pull, but the majority of those also lead to distance loss.

thanks again

Wanted to say thanks as well, this was one of my problems also.
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Postby Wordgie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:05 pm

mshelton wrote:
Pat wrote:

thanks again

Wanted to say thanks as well, this was one of my problems also.

Yep, me as well.
Wordgie
Noob

Postby CJ1998 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:32 pm

I was working on this very problem today. I didn't even mess with drivers, I was just throwing a stack of mids around a field. I was trying to envision a baseball player when he's taking his swing. Many professional baseball players will find that they will start their swing before the foot hits the ground. Some manage to correct it and start driving up the gaps for doubles and triples.

I was also trying to hone in on the plant and then the weight transfer. I found that exaggerating it too much leads to early releases and leftward flight lines. There's two things I look for in the flight when trying to address this issue (it will destroy rounds on tighter courses). One is "did I hit the line I inteded to hit?" and secondly "What did the disc do in flight?"

I felt pretty good about my progess, but once I reached for the drivers, all the bad habits came right back.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Return to Technique