How do you know when you're good enough for tournament play?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How do you know when you're good enough for tournament play?

Postby GTomp » Sun May 29, 2011 7:11 pm

I feel like I'm good enough to at least place in tournament play on a average day; however, I'm not for sure if I am and I don't have the money to blow to get laughed out. (For people out of IL, I throw Sinnissippi Park's, in Sterling IL, course at about a -3 to -8 range by signs.) I know I need to do some more work but I'd love to have funny money for some more discs.
GTomp
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Beast

Re: How do you know when you're good enough for tournament p

Postby vtbuzzz » Sun May 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Rec divisions are a great place to start and are fairly cheap divisions to play in, you won't get laughed at all. As a matter of fact you will learn how to play by watching and playing with people better than you.
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby ArcheType » Sun May 29, 2011 10:30 pm

You're in Illinois, so don't play rec, if you're still worried about getting laughed at. Novice is offered here, which is the equivalent to rec in most places.
ArcheType
Noob

Favorite Disc: Voodoo<3

Postby GTomp » Sun May 29, 2011 10:37 pm

I'm not worried about being laughed at one bit. My dignity isn't the question here. I just don't wanna waste the money if I can't hang with the people I'm playing against.
GTomp
Noob

Postby Lithicon » Mon May 30, 2011 12:01 am

Everyone has to learn somewhere. I don't know your background, but the mindset is different than normal round. So unless you have a sports background you might not be prepaired for the competition. Some can get into the groove, or you could and probabaly will feel as though you're throwing money away. Sadly some people take years to get past this, it's all about having people to push you forward. Go play Novice your first tourny. They have to let you, they usually offer no OB rulings and stuff like that. But, everything plays Par 3 except specific designations. But, they'll make those known. If you destroy them, move up. Then if you're comfortable playing Rec, and start placing and win a lot or destroy them, you can move up by your Descretion. Unless you destroy them or you aquire a PDGA ranking above that class, you can play there as long as you like. Just know that there are very limited ways of going back, unless you're clearly not in the right class in sanctioned events.

The monthly scene is usually the best way to get into tournies, much more relaxed and more like a casual round when you get used to the style of play. Just don't rush it unless you feel you're highly over skilled for your current class.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby JR » Mon May 30, 2011 3:48 am

Shop around for cheaper events? Weeklies are a great way to start because a small competition is still a competition. You gotta play those hard as well. If you have a need for attitude adjustment if you don't play hard that i something you have to think of. Play worlds finals in weeklies.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby bcr123psu » Mon May 30, 2011 8:03 am

You'll never know until you try. The next tourney that comes up, contact the TD and fill him (or her) in on your situation and they should be able to give you an idea of what would work best for you, division-wise.
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby GTomp » Mon May 30, 2011 3:26 pm

I'm set up for a tournament at my local park the week of the Fourth. Wish me luck and thank you for the words of encouragement.
GTomp
Noob

Postby zj1002 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:24 pm

move up and start playing weekly mini-tourneys(if they exist). I don't have time to play PDGA events and the last one I played in I was in advanced. PDGA events are fun but you have to be prepared to move up because it can be a shock to adjust to a higher level of play at first. Play as many mini's if you have the time too, and play open or at least advanced. I improve the most playing mini's because I gain experience. I have been able to cash in all but 1 mini over my summer break while playing Open against some of Austins best players. having the experience and composure is a large part of shooting well in a PDGA environment. playing in competitive situations on a daily/weekly basis and around top players will make you better if you are dedicated. Don't focus on "Am I good enough to be at this level?" because you won't shoot well.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby bsstarnesj » Mon May 30, 2011 8:37 pm

when you have enough self-confidence. it doesn't matter how good you are. it's just a game.
p2 - roc - leopard- firebird - pd
bsstarnesj
Noob

Favorite Disc: pd

Postby inthedrift » Mon May 30, 2011 10:07 pm

play all the tourneys you can...unless you find you don't like tournament play

If that happens, just play for fun. I think you'll like tourneys though.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Whiz » Tue May 31, 2011 8:37 am

What do you usually score on the course at Sinnissippi? I am talking about an average score, not your best and not your worst. If you can tell us that we can probably compare the score to past PDGA events there and give you a good idea of what division to play. I love that course by the way. I don't know how strong the league play is near Rock Falls. You might have better luck driving to Aurora to play in the leagues there. I believe during the summer they have both Saturday and Thursday(?) events in Aurora that are a lot of fun and there are some good players. They usually rotate between Jericho Lake and Eagle Ridge in Oswego. If you can I would highly recommend playing Brett's IOS tournament series when it stops in Sinnissippi. He adds a number of really fun and cool temporary holes and I have played it two out of the last four years and had great fun.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby hegemony » Tue May 31, 2011 9:45 am

I've played all of 5 tournaments now so take this with a grain of salt, but these are the guidelines that I've found to be true in my area:

If you're averaging course par or worse, play Novice and/or keep practicing.
If you're averaging between course par and par-54 (on an 18 hole course,) play Rec and you'll usually finish in the money and win a few. 108 for 2 rounds is an awesome score in Rec, and would usually win by a couple of strokes.
If you're averaging par-54 or slightly better, you will do well in intermediate. You won't shoot a much better score than the top rec players, but you're usually playing from longer tees and it's therefore more difficult. Top intermediate players that are still playing their rating and haven't moved up will still give you some trouble.
Advanced players must do well on deuce-or-die courses and shoot low-mid 50's rounds to win.
Open typically needs single round scores averaging 50 or below to win.

Adjustments are needed to the above guidelines for longer/more difficult courses. I'd say start adding strokes if there are more than 2 legit par 4's any and legit par 5's.
hegemony
Noob

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby GTomp » Tue May 31, 2011 9:56 am

Whiz wrote:What do you usually score on the course at Sinnissippi? I am talking about an average score, not your best and not your worst. If you can tell us that we can probably compare the score to past PDGA events there and give you a good idea of what division to play. I love that course by the way. I don't know how strong the league play is near Rock Falls. You might have better luck driving to Aurora to play in the leagues there. I believe during the summer they have both Saturday and Thursday(?) events in Aurora that are a lot of fun and there are some good players. They usually rotate between Jericho Lake and Eagle Ridge in Oswego. If you can I would highly recommend playing Brett's IOS tournament series when it stops in Sinnissippi. He adds a number of really fun and cool temporary holes and I have played it two out of the last four years and had great fun.

On average I shoot a -4 by sign value. Though I usually hit about a -3. And I do love it as well. It makes you challenge your lines. And I'll definitely look into Aurora and the IOS tourny
GTomp
Noob

Postby ArcheType » Tue May 31, 2011 11:25 am

according to the Sinnissippi page at DGCR, sign par there is 70, so he's shooting around a 67. Even on really tough courses, that still seems like a Novice score to me. Not meant to be insulting, just helpful.
ArcheType
Noob

Favorite Disc: Voodoo<3

Next

Return to Technique