Grip Questions...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Grip Questions...

Postby himynameismatt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:40 am

Hey all I have a few random questions on grip, feel like I'm at the point in my driving game where minor changes here and there can add small gains.

So I use the Avery Jenkins style power grip where only the pad/tip the of the thumb is on the flight plate, It's not that I'm a huge fan of him the disc just feels comfortable in my hand this way. I have a pretty strong grip, but not as strong as Avery's I'm sure...So my question is as a lower-power player than Avery(I max out around 420' w/ Destroyers) would I see gains, consistency, etc. by getting the disc back in the by the meaty part of my thumb?

Second question I had is, I've been really confused lately about where to apply pressure with my grip. I've been told to use a Front heavy grip, Back heavy grip, 50/50, and even middle heavy(pressure coming from middle and ring) I've used both the front and back to similar success but find myself changing it often by accident which is the right one to use? Does it change when throwing different shots? Hyzer, Anny, Controlled Drives, Distance Drives etc?

Yeah that's basically it. Thanks in advance guys.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Re: Grip Questions...

Postby ILikeBigButts » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:25 am

just do that but throw a boss. you will win.
ILikeBigButts
Noob

Postby emiller3 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:54 am

Use a front heavy grip (thumb and index/middle finger lock.) Use a grip like Avery's that gets the meaty part of your palm below your thumb off the top of the disc, like you are. You will definitely not gain distance by getting the disc back into your palm more and securing it more with your ring and pinky fingers. Search for the Snap 2009 thread and watch Bradley's videos (in the first post) for an explanation of why you want to use a "front heavy" grip, as you call it. A good index/middle finger lock makes it clear that the ring and pinky fingers really aren't doing much to hold onto the disc.

You can use that grip for every throw you make, especially with drivers. You can use some kind of stack grip when control is more important, especially when you're trying to get a secure grip on a deep rim or large diameter disc. I use a fork grip.

If you are maxing out at 420' with a Destroyer, you could be getting some slip and should to pay attention to the disc pivot/flinging the hammer portion of Bradley's video. For instance, I can throw a Valk 440' with good consistency on the course, but I often end up 400-420' with my Destroyers, and I'm pretty sure it's primarily due to grip. I fling the Valk, I slip the Destroyer. I really need to invesigate a better two finger lock (index and middle) for wide rimmed drivers.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby turso » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:13 pm

himynameismatt wrote:Hey all I have a few random questions on grip, feel like I'm at the point in my driving game where minor changes here and there can add small gains.

So I use the Avery Jenkins style power grip where only the pad/tip the of the thumb is on the flight plate, It's not that I'm a huge fan of him the disc just feels comfortable in my hand this way. I have a pretty strong grip, but not as strong as Avery's I'm sure...So my question is as a lower-power player than Avery(I max out around 420' w/ Destroyers) would I see gains, consistency, etc. by getting the disc back in the by the meaty part of my thumb?

Second question I had is, I've been really confused lately about where to apply pressure with my grip. I've been told to use a Front heavy grip, Back heavy grip, 50/50, and even middle heavy(pressure coming from middle and ring) I've used both the front and back to similar success but find myself changing it often by accident which is the right one to use? Does it change when throwing different shots? Hyzer, Anny, Controlled Drives, Distance Drives etc?

Yeah that's basically it. Thanks in advance guys.

Avery only uses the tip of the thumb at the beginning of the throw. During the swing he rotates the thumb's outmost joint to be the pressure point on the top of the disc. This is what Feldberg told me anyhow, and that's what he said is "the way to do it", but if you can throw 500' consistently(which you apparently can't), don't change anything.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby himynameismatt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks emiller for taking the time to reply with some decent advice. I already have a champ boss It's my goto putter. In fact planning on changing my entire bag to an all boss setup.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Return to Technique