Audible Pop...but no spin

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Audible Pop...but no spin

Postby archimedesjs » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:41 pm

Once again I was out doing some field sessions, but fortunately this time I had a local highly ranked AM give me some in person critique. He pointed out to me what was pointed out me on here prior, from my video critiques. That my pull is too fast too early, and that I'm rotating my hips early as well. Another point that he noticed, that I never thought about asking about, was the audible pop I get when I throw hard. When I do put everything I got into a throw, and really crank down on my grip I get an extremely loud pop when my fingers slap my palm, but none of that power is transferred to the disc via rotation. The disc accelerates out at a good clip, but with just a minimal amount of spin. I feel like if that energy could be transferred to the rim of the disc I would be getting really good snap. For the disc to squeeze out between my fingers like that means I'm generating power, but it's being lost. Has anybody else experienced anything like this, and does it have to do with grip? Currently I use a power grip for my drivers, and a stacked grip for my mids(buzzz). I don't get the same audible pop on my buzzz, and it seems like that power IS transferred to the disc. I tried to use the stacked grip on my drivers(leopards, TB's) to no avail. The same loud pop, but no useful energy transference.

On a side note, when I slowed down my pull, and held off on my hip rotation I noticed an improvement. I was only going around 60% because otherwise I couldn't keep the timing correct, but my discs were getting out about 30' short of what they normally do only slower.
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Re: Audible Pop...but no spin

Postby keltik » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:45 pm

the audible pop is the disc slipping out of your hand too early. loosen your grip a little bit.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Star Shark » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Most of the spin you get from good snap comes from that pinch between your thumb and index finger through the flight plate. The tighter that is, the more spin is generated.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby archimedesjs » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:10 pm

I was watching that Feldberg & Climo disc golf instructional last night, and Feldberg showed that he applied his thumb pressure with the blunt part of the thumb...not the tip. I did a quick experiment squeezing with my thumb tip on my disc, and then with the blunt part and discovered I can get a LOT more grip pressure than if I gripped with my thumb tip. I went out today and did some field practice, and low and behold I was crushing drives and having a LOT more accuracy. There was also less of a pop sound because the disc wasn't slipping out anymore. I was FINALLY hyzer flipping my leopard and getting the correct flight paths on my discs. I got my Nuke out to about 415', and even put my leopard out to about 400'. I still couldn't flip my teebird like I see Aaron do in his videos, but it was standing up from hyzer and holding a straight line.

On another note, I heard Feldberg saying to aim with you thumb and that helped me immensely as well. I was hitting most of my lines, and if I wasn't I wasn't off by too much. After a horrible round of doubles 2 days ago when I couldn't hit a single line, this is a welcome improvement. One last thing that helped me with timing my acceleration, was when Feldberg had said not to accelerate until your elbow was past your shoulder. I know it's the same thing as waiting for the disc to get to your right pec, but being able to intuitively know when the disc was at my pec was hard for me. The elbow passing the shoulder on the other hand is something that I could easily recognise during my throw.

Something completely unrelated, but positive is that i discovered I now have a flick. I've been screwing around practicing Blake's hammer drills so much that something inside my head must have clicked and now I can throw a flick. Before whenever I attempted them I got nothing but flutter and they hit the ground in front and to the left. I tried one during a quick round the other night and I threw a nice controlled shot about 240'. I had tried it again during doubles with the same result. Very little if any flutter, and a fair amount of distance off very minimal effort. If I put a little bit of umph to them I can get a drive out to about 300-310', and I'm very happy with that considering it wasn't even an option before.
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Return to Technique