Not trying too hard…

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Not trying too hard…

Postby SouthernGolf » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:51 pm

Well I'm not 100% sure this is the proper place for this but I went ahead an made it here.

Often times when I'm about to play disc golf I'm more than pumped because I get to play a round. Without the woman bitching. Without the distractions or stressors of school. Nothing but a round to myself( and friends).

However a lot of the time I find I cannot throw properly for a majority of the round. Usually until the point I say screw it AND THEN I start making the distance drives on the good lines, pretty approach shots parked and what not.

I've had a lot, I mean a lot, of really good players tell me two things consistently

1. I'm thinking about it too much/hard
2. Just have fun

Now when I try to start a round " not thinking about it" I usually Sally the hell out if the disc and start Trying to throw hard again and it begins…

Any suggestions aside from the generic comments that seem so obvious but are almost impossible for a competitive person to do consistently that I could try to become more relaxed and consistent in my game?
SouthernGolf
Noob

Favorite Disc: Omega SS P&A

Re: Not trying too hard…

Postby Blake_T » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:05 pm

Any suggestions aside from the generic comments that seem so obvious but are almost impossible for a competitive person to do consistently that I could try to become more relaxed and consistent in my game?

you're not the only one that suffers during the early parts of rounds (well, it either starts strong and deteriorates or starts weak and takes forever to get in gear).

from the sound of things you would benefit from 10-20 warm-up drives in a field before playing a round. this will get the sallied drives out of your system and be enough throws to realize if you try to kill stuff out of the gate your timing will be hosed. you just have to make sure the throws have no consequence, so that all of the early round bs gets filtered out early.

the other thing you can always do is form "game plans" for holes and then you don't really think about things except for on a shot by shot basis. e.g. hole 1 "gentle hyzer, 5-10' inside that tree on the right." then it becomes a simple game of execution. i've seen many rounds from other players deteriorate because they try stupid crap on holes because they were "feeling it."
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Re: Not trying too hard…

Postby SouthernGolf » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:51 pm

Well Blake, as usual, you were right. I played a round before I played a local flip up and played a lot Better in the tourney than normal.

Thanks for the advice
SouthernGolf
Noob

Favorite Disc: Omega SS P&A

Return to Technique