Stuck at 450'

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Stuck at 450'

Postby JR » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 am

The less you put the fingers inside the disc the easier it is to wobble the disc during the disc pivot.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby seabas22 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Mike C wrote:So I made a 1/8th speed video for the first time and it makes my flaws really, really obvious. A lot of the things you guys suggested are spot on, looking at this video. Pulling a little early, my third step is way too far forward to allow shifting my weight forward, and what Dan pointed out about the shoulder rotation and extending my release point is very, very good advice that I'm going to try and implement asap. Another thing I'm noticing is as I pivot through the release my plant foot looks like its off axis.

I'm going to try and get out to the field a few times this week, and each day pick 1 aspect of my throw to try and improve.

Stuck at 500ish now but I have a good idea of how to fix that.

JR already talked about your rear foot/leg and you don't seem to be generating much leverage under your hips through the swing plane. Footwork looks choppy, if you watch the top throwers its more gliding. Foot pivot looks flat, not quite heel pivoting and doesn't pivot much. Looks like the spinal axis is moving around quite a bit as the whole body pivots off axis for anything other than anyhyzer....not maintaining posture, and not fully bracing against the front side for the hit. Looks like your weight is too far back over the rear foot before planting so you try to throw your weight forward and lose balance/posture. I'm not sure if you are trying to throw distance lines, but if so the trajectory is off. I'd work on footwork, balance/staying more centered, posture, and a lower pull line.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby Mike C » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:10 am

seabas22 wrote: Looks like the spinal axis is moving around quite a bit as the whole body pivots off axis for anything other than anyhyzer....not maintaining posture, and not fully bracing against the front side for the hit. Looks like your weight is too far back over the rear foot before planting so you try to throw your weight forward and lose balance/posture. I'm not sure if you are trying to throw distance lines, but if so the trajectory is off. I'd work on footwork, balance/staying more centered, posture, and a lower pull line.

Yeah those are the same things I'm noticing too. My alignment looks all off when I go into the rotation up to the release, and your comments on the overall footwork are spot on.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby CatPredator » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:18 am

seabas22 wrote:Looks like the spinal axis is moving around quite a bit as the whole body pivots off axis for anything other than anyhyzer....not maintaining posture, and not fully bracing against the front side for the hit. Looks like your weight is too far back over the rear foot before planting so you try to throw your weight forward and lose balance/posture.

This is the stuff that those Shawn Clement videos really helped me understand. When you get your right foot down, and get braced on the right side with your weight under control, the shot feels a lot different. I think Seabas (apologies if I'm misquoting) referred to it as "tipping the pendulum" at some point. I feel like Mike could pick up quite a bit more power in this respect.

Added bonuses: working on this part of my shot helped me resolve some nasty nagging lower right back/hip pain related to crappy weight shift and trying to throw my weight forward over my front foot instead of clearing my hips and transferring the power up, and I almost never shank right anymore...

Edit: I'll also note that I think getting fully braced on the front of the hit feels like it's related to the shoulder pause. It sets up for a really explosive, compact weight shift, and a super tight axis of rotation, and really helps get your weight forward for hyzers.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby archimedesjs » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:29 pm

CatPredator wrote:
seabas22 wrote:Looks like the spinal axis is moving around quite a bit as the whole body pivots off axis for anything other than anyhyzer....not maintaining posture, and not fully bracing against the front side for the hit. Looks like your weight is too far back over the rear foot before planting so you try to throw your weight forward and lose balance/posture.

This is the stuff that those Shawn Clement videos really helped me understand. When you get your right foot down, and get braced on the right side with your weight under control, the shot feels a lot different. I think Seabas (apologies if I'm misquoting) referred to it as "tipping the pendulum" at some point. I feel like Mike could pick up quite a bit more power in this respect.

Added bonuses: working on this part of my shot helped me resolve some nasty nagging lower right back/hip pain related to crappy weight shift and trying to throw my weight forward over my front foot instead of clearing my hips and transferring the power up, and I almost never shank right anymore...

Edit: I'll also note that I think getting fully braced on the front of the hit feels like it's related to the shoulder pause. It sets up for a really explosive, compact weight shift, and a super tight axis of rotation, and really helps get your weight forward for hyzers.

Which videos were those? Got a link?
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Postby seabas22 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:42 pm

archimedesjs wrote:Which videos were those? Got a link?

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23635
Bottom of the page is the hammer throw vids. If you go to shawn clement's youtube channel check anything super tilted spiral, weight shift, footwork, finish position, bubba wide. All really great info and explained well...reminds me of Bradley Walker's doppleganger.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby Mike C » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Thanks for the link, I'm going to watch those tonight and see what I can learn from him.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby CatPredator » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:04 pm

The stuff I'm talking about is contained mostly in the tilted super spiral clips but all of the topics Seabas22 brought up are interesting and tie into disc golf quite a bit.

CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby archimedesjs » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:59 pm

Thanks for the quick response man, much appreciated.
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Previous

Return to Technique