OAT with small rims, Mr. Consistency with wide rims...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

OAT with small rims, Mr. Consistency with wide rims...

Postby Loop » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:31 am

As most of you must have noticed in the equipment section, its not easy being me, I have and develop a lot of problems. :oops:

My current dilemma is this. I sometimes OAT the hell out of thin rimmed discs...

Now if I throw a thin rimmed discs veery gently, like I do my TLs, things are pretty good. Unfortunately this type of throwing doesnt work with more overstable discs, not for me atleast. My grip is the same as Feldbergs.

I can get TLs around 330 -360' when I throw them gently, with nice straightness and very little fade.
Buut if I throw my main driver, a S-PD like this, it goes to around 330'. Now if I use more force I can get PDs easily to 390' or even around 420' but consistency goes to hell, I OAT them like a crazy person 60% of the time. This is so frustrating, specially in windy conditions.

Now with a PD2, or a Destroyer I have zero problems. I throw them flat and they do pretty much what I want. PD2 goes to 390' easily and an E*Destroyer even as far as 460' (490' with a good backwind).
The problem is, PD2 has that insane fade, so it cant bee used in every situation. And Destroyer goes waaay too far.

What should I do? I train regularly, almost daily, for a few hours. And I do most of my training on an open field, just trying to control my discs. Yet I cant seem to get rid of that nasty OAT with PDs and also Teebirds.
If I can train myself out of this, I will...But I´m tempted to start throwing more wide rimmed discs, since they work so so sooo consistently. I can count on them 100%.

P.S. I used to have this same OAT problem with MD2s aswell (still have a bit), but theyre starting to get better for me now. But I throw them with a different grip, Climo grip.
P1|P2|rhy|MD2|roc3|FD|FB|TD|PD|PD2
Loop
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FR D-P2

Re: OAT with small rims, Mr. Consistency with wide rims...

Postby JR » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:26 am

Your sig has a typo in Jokeri.

Maybe you have OAT with every disc and the wider rimmed discs stabilize faster so that you don't see the wobble. You've got so much distance that the power to get there easily goes beyond the ability of many discs to take it or take it with minor form errors. Large errors would produce rollers. At that full power it is easy to turn over the wrist and it goes away backing down a little like you do with the TL and the mids. That's just the way it goes. Have you tried other discs? You are in luck because there are discs in the middle between TL, PD and Destroyer. Surge and Surge SS are a little more LSS and take winds slightly better than Beasts. Straight high PLH TDs are very close to Surges. Each of these are somewhat wide rimmed but not fading out much. Less than the majority of PDs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Blake_T » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:33 am

if my experiences serve me correctly, i'm 99% certain you are micro-slipping with your wider rims. the cause of the oat you are getting with narrower rims is probably present in all throws but with the wider rimmed discs the effects are being masked by speed and the disc is probably leaving before the point in release where it is visible on a narrower rim.

you can get a LOT more leverage on narrow rims = less slip = later release point in the throwing motion.

there are a couple of other things that are much less likely, so if i had to bet, i'd bet on what i described above. another factor is that most people who key in on wide rimmed drivers generally throw too low for narrow rimmed discs. e.g. a teebird needs 18'+ of height on it to break 400' (unless you perform a VERY difficult to execute micro-anhyzer type throw with artificially forced nose down). a cyclone needs more like 30' of height to break 400'. throwing a 12' high line drive with a narrow/slow disc often doesn't give the disc enough time to complete its flight path.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Loop » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:12 am

I just got back from my training place of choice.
And boy-howdy!
It seems that if I grip a driver like I grip my midrange, with the Climo grip, I dont get any OAT whatsoever. :shock:

I could really rip my PDs and Teebirds, and the suckers went pretty far, around 400'. Ok, I might be losing a little distance from a perfectly launched powergrip. But the total lack of OAT is amazing, not once did I flip a disc...

I tried this because I read Blake´s hypothesis of microslipping, and I think with this grip I have the same microslip with narrow rimmed discs. I dont know if this a good or a bad thing, but hell, at least they're going straight!

I´m probably being a complete idiot by changing my grip like this, but I´m gonna try it a few weeks.
Or do you guys think its a retarded thing to do?
P1|P2|rhy|MD2|roc3|FD|FB|TD|PD|PD2
Loop
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FR D-P2

Postby Blake_T » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:17 am

I tried this because I read Blake´s hypothesis of microslipping, and I think with this grip I have the same microslip with narrow rimmed discs. I dont know if this a good or a bad thing, but hell, at least they're going straight!

I´m probably being a complete idiot by changing my grip like this, but I´m gonna try it a few weeks.
Or do you guys think its a retarded thing to do?

98%+ of players micro-slip, whether they know it or not.

in the long run you're best off going OAT free. in the short run this is an easy fix.

you're looking at like 2-6" of difference in the release point. that 2-6" can be responsible for 30-100' of distance.

if you don't want more D, then it is fine.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique