Throwing High with Nose Down

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Throwing High with Nose Down

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:58 am

Sorry to butt in here but I've been looking/lurking for distance anny consistancy and something I read here clicked with me on the course yesterday regarding throwing uphill and the relation of my torso, shoulders, and arm pull parallel to the slant of the hill. In ball golf, I've learned that on uphill and downhill lies I need to adjust the level of my shoulders so that they orient parallel to the slope. I believe I usually try to power uphill with more upward arm angle but yesterday, even on a flat tee pad, I tilted backwards just a tick from my hips thus putting my shoulders on a angle matching the upward slope of the hill. The results were great but it might just be more focus IDK.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby JHern » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:22 pm

7ontheline wrote:...throwing uphill and the relation of my torso, shoulders, and arm pull parallel to the slant of the hill. In ball golf, I've learned that on uphill and downhill lies I need to adjust the level of my shoulders so that they orient parallel to the slope. I believe I usually try to power uphill with more upward arm angle but yesterday, even on a flat tee pad, I tilted backwards just a tick from my hips thus putting my shoulders on a angle matching the upward slope of the hill. The results were great...

Yeah, that's basically what I was saying. Orient everything relative to the slope/line you want to throw. Bend one or the other of your knees to get even more tilt from your shoulders, instead of bending all at the waist. The same goes for throwing down steep gradients. On hole 27 (top of the world) at DeLaveaga I see people (especially visitors) struggle with this all the time, but it is fairly simple to learn (unless there are bad mechanics in your throw that cause you to throw excessively nose-up anyways).
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Dookville » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:39 pm

Having just recently gotten the hang of throwing through an apex to get a distance line that flexes for me, I think maybe there is something that I could ad to the conversation.

First is trying to grasp the nose down concept. Much like Crossey, in the beginning I struggled with trying to picture this in my head and relate it to my straight line throwing technique. It made no sense and all I ended up doing was trying to roll my wrist right before the hit. Any other way of getting the disc out on a hyzer or anny with the nose down resulted in tying myself up, and spraying discs all over the place.

After watching an old guy at my local hitting huge anny and hyzer lines and letting them flex out while using hardly any effort at all I was able to figure out some key points.

1. He really wasn't trying to change his grip and or roll his wrist at the hit at all.
2. He was throwing from the inside out with a lower pull line at the start and finishing higher on anny flexes and getting his weight transferred forward.
3. He was thowing from the outside in with a higher pull line on hyzer flexes and keeping his weight back a little.
4. He was visualizing and going through the motion from the end of the teepad with a disc in hand, mapping out the angle and where the apex was and down to where the disc would finish.
5. He was changing the apex based on the stability of the disc he was throwing. Big apexes for understable discs and tighter ones for more stable discs.

I took what I had seen and went to work on trying to apply it to my game. I am a straight line hyzer flip power thrower that will strong arm my disc most of the time. Since turning a disc over using understable plastic had always gotten me the most distance, I started there. I started with a Vulcan, which had gotten to the point of flipping on a straight line power throw to the point of being useless for me. The first few attempts to just reach back low and pull high while aiming right just stalled the disc and it faded out. It wasn't till I ended up trying a few 360 degree runups that I understood how the disc needed to come from the inside out to hit the high anny apex, turnover through it and flex back as the lss kicked in. The 360 doesnt work few me for several reasons, but I was able to work my runup into a similar position to open myself up to throw from inside to out.

Once I got the inside to out concept, I was able to vary my apex hieght to shape the shot. I would choose my disc, visualize where the apex would be and feel the throw in my head and watch it finish in my mind. Then go through my runup to open up my body with my shoulder leading to the apex point and driving the disc out to it, and through the apex.

I'm glad I started by using understable plastic and trying to keep the nose down on an apex through an anny line. It was much tougher figuring it out on a hyzer line. As far a throwing a straight line high apexing shot, I just can't picture that shot in my head yet.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Previous

Return to Technique