When to grip hard

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

When to grip hard

Postby archimedesjs » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:11 pm

I have been stuck at half-hitting it for quite some time now, and have been trying to weed out the trouble spots that are holding me back. I had discovered that I wasn't using my lower body as much as I could have prior, and that has enabled me to hit the same D as normal, but with less effort. My question revolves around what Blake says in his INcomplete Secret Technique thread. The part about feeling the pivot prior to the sling. The part that is supposed to get you from a half-hit, to the full hit. My question is, at what point are you really wrenching down on the disc? Going through the motions now, I grip down hard going into the power pocket. Should I be waiting until the disc has pivoted THEN grip the shit out of it, or is it the same grip strength once the disc starts to pivot?
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Re: When to grip hard

Postby zj1002 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:30 pm

the properly timed grip(and weight shift, etc.) will cause the disc to pivot. you just need to follow through the pivot. I stopped thinking of it like "gripping hard". I focus on gripping the disc so that it came out nose down(or up) on the angle I need. That is usually as hard as you need. the throw really is all in the last second. I think a lot of people get really caught up in this hard grip idea. You can grip hard and still grip nose up while the disc comes out the back of your hand. A hard grip doesn't = nose down crush.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby archimedesjs » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:24 pm

zj1002 wrote:the properly timed grip(and weight shift, etc.) will cause the disc to pivot. you just need to follow through the pivot. I stopped thinking of it like "gripping hard". I focus on gripping the disc so that it came out nose down(or up) on the angle I need. That is usually as hard as you need. the throw really is all in the last second. I think a lot of people get really caught up in this hard grip idea. You can grip hard and still grip nose up while the disc comes out the back of your hand. A hard grip doesn't = nose down crush.

I understand a hard grip doesn't achieve the monster throws I'm seeking, but what I am asking is at what point do you start applying more pressure than you had initially through your pre-throw? At the very last second, or before the pivot?
archimedesjs
Noob

Postby zj1002 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:45 pm

gripping properly should help start the pivot. it won't pivot if you just let it go
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby archimedesjs » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:05 pm

I've been battling this damn distance demon for a long time now, and today something FINALLY clicked. I struggle with 150'-100' upshots, to the point where 75% of the time I'm still outside of the circle after my up. Today as the sun was going down, I finally decided to practice them. I was standing still with a wizard, and slowly going through the motions of my throw. My entire throw was very slow. I didn't rotate my shoulders or hips fast, or rush my arm. Just a very smooth, slow motion, and I could feel the disc pivot. I could feel the disc get heavy, without having to pull really fast. I stood still and threw my wizard about 225' with hardly any effort. I could feel it get heavy, and as it did THEN I started to accelerate and pull through. I did it a few more times, and the result was the same. I then tried it with a teebird, and a very slow, methodical x-step, and I obliterated it. I'm not sure of the distance exactly, but it smashed into a wall that's about 5' in front of a 399' hole, and it took a huge gouge out of it(the disc). The hammer drill makes sense now, the right pec drill makes sense, all the drills make sense! This entire time i've been accelerating right past the hit, instead of just slowing the F-down, and actually waiting for the things to occurr naturally! I was getting ok D the past 6 months or so, and even accuracy, but it was just slipping out. I can't wait to see what D I'm going to get now once I can start throwing again. I'm excited to the point of contemplating skipping work tomorrow just to throw. I'll have videos up shortly.
archimedesjs
Noob

Return to Technique